X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chrome tank emblems

anyone tried these out?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/XS1100-Yamaha-Fue...ayphotohosting

i'm thinking they'll look nicer than the gold ones on my 79sf, they need replaced anyway. just the matter of making the side covers match. any pics out there of these on an actual 11?
    1979 XS1100SF 37000km
    Green Dyna Coils
    Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
    kevXS

They look good but they are 1.5mm shorter in height than the original. When mounted it sits 4mm lower based on where the holes are drilled. They are straight so they need to be heated up to conform to the curvature of the tank.

Richard

Comment

Those are the same as the ones from a Yamaha golf cart. I get mine from a place in Calgary. $6 bucks apeice. They are straight though and do need to be formed to the tank.

Darrell

Comment

i got the new tank emblems, not too happy with the result
        they need to be higher but not high enough to drill new holes, i would have to extend the existing holes, will the emblems stay on with oval shaped holes? any better suggestions?

1979 XS1100SF 37000km
        Green Dyna Coils
        Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
        kevXS

Comment

Take them off, cut the screws just below the heads, and epoxy the heads into the holes. Then use some automotive trim tape to tape the emblems wherever you want them.
          Ken Talbot

Comment

The mountings holes are slightly closer together but I managed to get both screws on mine started without having to enlarge the hole at all.

You will need to spend some time with a hot air gun to to get them to curve around the tank nicely.

I do believe that the seller you bought them from has mis-represented them though. His auction clearly says they are for the XS bikes when in fact they are for golf carts.

He buys them for $12 from the local golf shop and then sells them for 3 times the price to unsuspecting XS owners.

There's nothing wrong with the badges if you know where they come from, the real price and that they need work if you want to use them on your motorcycle!
            '84 Sport

Comment

have a look at www.badgereplicas.com.au[/url]
              Last edited by cueball; 06-26-2009, 12:53 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Heads up,

These are the golfcart ones that can be bought for $10. that is what this guy did and is trying to rip you. I have a set that cost $12, shipping included. They set about 1/4" higher than the OEM's and are a little smaller. The background does not follow the letters. Look pretty good but may not after spending an hour so trying to get a fit. I just wrote them off.
                '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
                Original except:
                120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
                4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
                Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
                All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
                Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Sorry, forgot which way. They set lower, not higher. I can refurb yours for you. Will post some before and after pics later.
                  '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
                  Original except:
                  120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
                  4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
                  Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
                  All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
                  Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Originally posted by Shappers View Post
                    You will need to spend some time with a hot air gun to to get them to curve around the tank nicely.
                    Hi Shappers,
                    thing is, the wife's hair dryer don't run hot enough and an industrial hot air gun runs so hot that you have to be real careful not to melt the plastic.
                    Has anyone tried boiling them? Is 100ºC hot enough to soften them?
                    The boiling point of a strong anti-freeze mix is what? 110ºC?
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I did try putting them in boiling water first but it didn't work for me..

I reluctantly used the hot air gun but as you said it was way too hot. I did it by gently bringing the badge in and out of the blast until it started to bend. Only on one side I did it a bit too much and warped the edge of the plastic but luckily it is underneath so you don't normally see it
                      '84 Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Shappers View Post
                        I did try putting them in boiling water first but it didn't work for me..
                        I reluctantly used the hot air gun but as you said it was way too hot. I did it by gently bringing the badge in and out of the blast until it started to bend. Only on one side I did it a bit too much and warped the edge of the plastic but luckily it is underneath so you don't normally see it
                        Hi Shappers,
                        yeah, using a hot air gun there's no good way to measure the temperature the part has reached.
                        As I remember my brief stint in a plastics mfrs, windshield plastic needs to be at ~130ºC to go all rubbery so it will take up the shape of the form it's draped over.
                        The kitchen stove's oven has a temperature gauge. The average windshield is too big to fit but a couple of tank badges would go in real easy.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                        X