Question about welding the frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about welding the frame?

Can I use one of those Bernzomatic welding kits to weld a support to the frame? Like these:

http://bernzomatic.com/Default.aspx?tabid=215

I just want to weld a support to the frame and wanted to know if something like this would work! I want it to be a good and safe weld...

-Rick
    1979 XS1100 Standard

No

No,,,,I do not think it would be a good idea to use that,,,it looks like its better for brazing,,,,not welding. Maybe buy a cheap 120 volt stick welder and at least it would penetrate deep enough that you wouldnt have to worry about stuff falling off. There is a good welding thread going on right now, the last few days in the other forum section.......Mike in S.D.
    mike
    1982 xj1100 maxim
    1981 venture bagger
    1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
    1959 wife

Comment

Originally posted by Clerek View Post
      Can I use one of those Bernzomatic welding kits to weld a support to the frame? Like these:

http://bernzomatic.com/Default.aspx?tabid=215

I just want to weld a support to the frame and wanted to know if something like this would work! I want it to be a good and safe weld...

-Rick
      Hi Rick,
      that thing is a toy; it won't weld anything as massive as a bike frame.
      Also, if you had to ask, you don't yet have the necessary experience to weld onto a motorcycle frame.
      You can't simply pay down your cash, bring home a good quality welding machine and start welding without training and practice
      any more than you can just buy a guitar and tight jeans and then sing like Elvis.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Just to stir the $h1t, here is my take on it. You CAN braze mounts on the frame and have them strong. It does NOT take that long to learn to braze, and it IS strong. It is NOT as strong as welding, but will NOT affect the strength of the frame if done wrong, like a weld.
        The $1,000 question is WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO MOUNT?? If it is a five pound load, no big deal. If it's the backrest and seat for you or a passenger, NO WAY! Get a pro to do the welding for you.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Okay thanks for the advise...I am going to get someone who knows what their doing to do the welding for me. I will probably call around and get some quotes tomorrow. Can I post them up here to make sure I'm getting a good deal?

-Rick
          1979 XS1100 Standard

Comment

Originally posted by Clerek View Post
            Can I post them up here to make sure I'm getting a good deal?
            Post all you want! As always, you'll get plenty of opinions. Might help others to know what they're in for if they are looking to contract their welding out to a pro.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Okay I sent pictures to about four people and have heard back from two so far. One guy quoted me 25 dollars an hour, and didn't give me an estimated completion time, and the other gave me a quote for 100 dollars and then said that he thinks it will take more than one day to complete...

This is the email I sent him describing the work needed to be done:

The frame is a 1979 yamaha xs1100 and I am making it a hardtail. Attatched is a picture of the project i'm working on. I have already cut off the frame at the white areas. The yellow lines with the red arrows are the bars that I need welded on. They go down to the swing arm and bolt to them with the bolt used by the rear shocks. Then i need two supports welded in between these bars. the purple one closest to the rear is the one i will mount the springs on the bottom of the seat, and the blue one to the front is where I will mount the support for the gas tank. The green arrows also need to be welded to the red bar to provide support. The bike is cut in the four spots indicated by the white marks.

pictures of what I'm doing

-Rick
              1979 XS1100 Standard

Comment

Rick, that's going to take some top-quality fitting/welding to make it strong and safe, and I'd also put some gussets at all the joints. Don't expect this to be cheap....

'78E original owner
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

okay so I went to a professional today, and he said he could do it. He quoted me 100 dollars. I wanted to make sure I have the right information...

The frame is a mild steel alloy, and if so the supports I am putting on the bike also need to be of the same material, so does it matter what kind of mild steel i get for the bars? Also I am wanting to just tack it to the frame so it is easier for him to weld (which will end up costing me less ). I also want to know what kind of prep work I should do to the bike. I was going to grind off the old, paint and then tack the new to the frame for him to weld. Anything else I could to to lighten the burden on my wallet?

THANKS!!!

-Rick
                  1979 XS1100 Standard

Comment

You will NEED a mild steel tube that is as close to, or just larger than the bike frame tube. I am talking wall thickness, not outside diameter of the tube. You can THEN fit up every bar, use the blue masking tape or magnets to "hold" them in place. Then INSTALL the swing arm for both the fabrication of tubes and final welding, it WILL give you a MUCH better fit. Use emery cloth and a GOOD de-greaser such as brake-klean around all the joints. Have ALL the paint cleaned back about 2" minimum from the weld areas.
                    Bring all the parts to the welder, and assemble them yourself at his shop. Use the welding magnets and bolts to put everything together for him, and then let him weld it. See if he is going to use a TIG or MIG welder on the frame. The TIG is #1 choice, as it will give good control and a good weld, in the proper hands. A MIG can be used well by a lot of welders, but is brittle with the wrong wire.
                    JMHO
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                    X