Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The new guy (have i done the right thing?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new guy (have i done the right thing?)

Greetings all, hope you all don't mind me joining your forum.
    Well today i talked myself into buying xs 1100 fer some reason i dont know what came over me ive never been intrested in yamahas ive always driven Triumphs and i currently ride a custom t-bird 900.
    Anyways i stumbled across it at a workshop near by by work and it was sort of in bits well everything is intact apart from the seat,fuel tank, front and rear lights the clocks and indicators oh and the tin ware they where all in a box besides it. But dam did it looked kinda a mean and sexy all naked like that, it was crying out to me, so what the heck the guy twisted my arm and i bought it for 800quid that's about 1300 dollars to use guys.

The bike in question is a 1978 yamaha xs 1100 bored out to 1220cc with a russ colins turbo pro- fited kit.The engine has 1220cc low compresion NOT standard, one single carb directly fed to turbo.The only things that are needed to finish the bike are the tank and rear mudgard to be painted set of inlet rubbers and some time and of course all the wiring of lights electrics etc.

But i think it has potential but i keep asking myself to i have the ability to bring this baby back to life? My knowledge of mechanics is limited when comes to bikes. Im more of a rider than a giver but i used to re build type 1 vw engines for about 5 years and did up vw bugs when i was a bit younger.But i must say ive never did a bike before.
    So is this the right place to be will you guys give me some great advice and maybe give me a few pointers where to begin.
    Ill post some picks soon.
    Thanks
    Tom

Sounds like a project.
    Welcome to the mad mad world of XS11s.
    Bikes are just car parts rearranged, or vice versa. No real magic, just take your time and ask questions.
    Check this site also for folks over on your side of the world.

Plenty of info at both places.
    XS1100SF
    XS1100F

Comment

sweet thanks for that!
      Tom

Comment

Do we MIND??!! Of course not!! We love to have more members! Glad to hear you are resurrecting another XS!

This is definitely the right place for information about these bikes. Any question you might have can be answered here. Lots of friendly folks here, so don't be shy about asking questions. And yes, pictures are always good!
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Hi McKunter,
          When you do get it running be sure you are pointed at France before you crack the throttle on that beast or you will be out in the atlantic with no way home
          Welcome to Ch 11
          Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Wow

Sounds like you might want to pick up some industrial size Velcro so you can stay on the bike when you get her running.I think it will be mighty fast.Welcome to the forum.We like pictures. Terry
            1980 special (Phyllis)
            1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Working...
            X