slow to return to idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slow to return to idle

I have her running better than ever before. I still want to upgrade coils but have an idle problem to solve first. When I start the bike it idles fine around 1000rpms maybe a little under, she sounds great. once I ride for a while when I come to a stop the idle sits and hovers around 3000rpms for almost a minute before it returns. I checked my carb boots and other vacume lines, I can't find a leak. I am wondering about a float being stuck or maybe too high, what do you think? I don't really think one si stuck cause I had that before and in idle it spilled fuel out of the pods. She is almost perfect I just need this one last thing. Could it be a sync problem? I am going to try to get sticks from a guy at work anyway but he hasn't been in in a few days. Any ideas?
    1979 Standard F, At least I think it is.

It IS the sync. You cannot really tell what is wrong until you have everything set up properly. All I can say is live with it UNTIL you have it synced. I'll bet the problem goes away.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

thanks I will try to get the sticks.

Comment

I agree with DiverRay. Mine had the same problem until we sync'd. Then it went away.
        Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
        '82 XJ1100
        '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Yeah like the guys said... But I had the same problem.Not only did I have to sync the carbs I had to adjust the idle mixture as well.In fact the idle mixture is what fixed the problem but I had to get the carbs synced first.I don't know if this applies to your bike.It happened to mine after I installed the @#$%& dyno jet mod kits. Terry
          1980 special (Phyllis)
          1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Hey, I can borrow a set of gauges if your having a hard time finding some. My father in law has some that are brand new, and I have a single gauge although doing it that way is kind of a pain. Let me know....
            1979 xs1100 Special -
            Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
            Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
            My Bike:
            [link is broken]

Comment

Brian, that would be awsome! I have a cheap single gauge I got from Harbor Freight and I had to make a pvc baffle for it and the needle still bounces between a 5lb range. If you have a set i would love to borrow them or get together maybe have a beer and work on bikes let me know. I may or may not have to work this weekend, I find out tonight. If I don't I'll give you a call.

Comment

Don, I'm going out to the in-laws house today so I'll grab his gauges while I'm there. Saturday we are planning to go to that arts festival downtown but I can probably sneak away for a couple hours if saturday works best for you. Sunday we are probably doing church in the morning but anytime after like 12:30 would be cool. Give me a call.....
                1979 xs1100 Special -
                Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                My Bike:
                [link is broken]

Comment

Working...
                X