smaller speedo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smaller speedo

Hey all-I was just wondering if anyone has installed smaller aftermarket gauges on their bikes. My original plan was to slick everything off above the bars, but then decided that I want to keep the information station. I just want smaller gauges that I can put lower down to lower the profile of the bike. I searched some here, but haven't found anything. The only really nice afatermarket I have found is a Dakota digital, which is 2" dia. and does everything. Surely someone has done it...
    Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Almost ANY speedo will work. The HARD part is the tachometer. Most bikes use a mechanical tach, the XS1100 uses an electrical tach run off the charging coils. Some of the owners HAVE installed Electronic tachs, run off the coils, so that CAN be done.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I want a speedo that will be accurate as well, so the gearing ratios will have to match the original. I have a bicycle speedo on now that is accurate, and I might just go with that. The tach should be easy to source from an auto parts store, since most tachs are electronic.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Hey there,

IF you do a search for gauges, you'll eventually find a thread posted within the last month or so, someone found a nice electronic combo tach and speedo, all in one, decent price.

IF you want to keep a modest look of old school bike, then check out MikesXS.net, he has small replacement gauges, both speedos, and electronic for the tach, decent prices, mount with round clips to the bars.

The fun is getting an electronic tach with adjustable pulse sensing so it will count the wasted spark on one of our coils correctly!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks, TC. The little 1.9" gauges from Mikes XS will do nicely. You can even get one for single/ dual coils with LED backlights. They should be in the mail soon, and I will be able to post the results. Thanks again!

Comment

http://www.sportvue.com/motorcycles.php

Heads-up display for your helmet showing speed, tach, and gear selected.
            Remove the gauges from the bike.
            Also look here:
            http://www.jcwhitney.com/CHROMED-TAC...4730_10111.jcw
            and
            http://www.jcwhitney.com/CHROMED-SPE...4728_10111.jcw
            Last edited by Pat Kelly; 06-05-2009, 08:20 AM.
            Pat Kelly
            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

How did those gauges work for you T71?
              Mike C
              Lake Orion, Michigan
              '78 XS1100E

Here I am! Where are you?

Comment

I must confess that I have not been able to try them yet. It has been raining alot here, so I have not been riding much. And, I got the approval from my better half to begin construction on my shop, so I have been building as much as possible. I will have the shop sheeted this week, and then hope to get back after the bike. I will keep everyone posted!

Comment

Expensive options

Originally posted by Pat Kelly View Post
                  http://www.sportvue.com/motorcycles.php
                  Heads-up display for your helmet showing speed, tach, and gear selected.
                  Remove the gauges from the bike. - - -
                  Hi Pat,
                  got any idea of the price on the HUD? The site only tells you how wonderful, not how much.
                  BTW, the JCW tach you reference is a mechanical. The least cost electronic tach on that link is over $200.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                  X