xs650/xs1100 speedo convert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xs650/xs1100 speedo convert

has anyone here ever put a 79 xs650 120 mph speedo onto an 80 1100. near as i can tell there is 4 wires on the 79, but only 3 on my 1980. i'm sure it is possible, but i'm just wonderin which wire from the 79 is not necessary.
    any info appreciated
    redbone
    testing 1-2-3

1980 1100 mns

Looks like the extra wire is a ground for the reed switch. The earlier speedos had an additional blk/wht wire for reed switch ground and the later speedo shared the instrument light ground with the reed switch. If you have your turn signal self cancelling feature disabled, all you need is the 2 bulb wires. HTH
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by redbone View Post
      has anyone here ever put a 79 xs650 120 mph speedo onto an 80 1100. near as i can tell there is 4 wires on the 79, but only 3 on my 1980. i'm sure it is possible, but i'm just wonderin which wire from the 79 is not necessary.
      any info appreciated
      redbone
      Hi Redbone,
      I have that exact speedo on my XS11SE right now and it works perfectly.
      As BikerPhil says, the wiring difference has to do with the signal self-canceller reed switch. Which I never even noticed as my self-canceller don't work after I replaced the defunct stock flasher unit with an electronic one.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I'm swapping my speedo with the three wire connector for one with a four wire connector.. I'll pull the mini clips out of the connectors for a clean job, but do I need to ground the extra black white wire?
        Bothell, WA
        1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Originally posted by greatnw View Post
          do I need to ground the extra black white wire?
          Yes, I would ground the blk/wht wire if your'e using the self-cancelling signals. Tap that wire into the ground (black wire) for the bulbs.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Yep, looked that way to me to and that is what I did.
            Thanks, BikerPhil
            Bothell, WA
            1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Working...
            X