Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U-Joint/Driveshaft Inquiry

Greetings,

I notice that I have some slop where the U-Joint assembly fits onto the splined end of the driveshaft. Is this one of those "oh crap" moments or is this normal?
    LuckyEddie
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight special
    1982 XV750J Virago
    1976 GL1000
    1978 GL1000 Supercharged
    1981 XV920RH (chain drive)

It depends, Eddie, but you should start looking around for another u-joint assembly. The u-joint assembly is cast iron and the driveshaft is super-hardened steel. You're not going to hurt the driveshaft but the u-joint assembly will strip or break if the splines get too loose.

Regards,

Scott
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Hey Eddie,

Scott knows his stuff. But I was wondering if your driveshaft is being fitted all the way into the Ujoint fitting?? The compression "C" ring on the end of the driveshaft can be hard to compress when you are putting the driveshaft back into the U-joint, takes a decent thump with a rubber mallet or such to drive the end of the shaft "HOME" down deep inside the U-joint. IF it isn't seated properly, then it will seem loose and wobble about in the end of the U-joint! IF you can easily pull the driveshaft back OUT of the U-joint, then it's NOT pressed all the way in past that ridge that compresses the "C" ring!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Sorry, Eddie, I was a little distracted and I assumed you had the rear wheel off the bike but -- what T.C. said!

If the yoke is all the way down on the driveshaft and over the c-clip, the yoke should not wobble. You shouldn't be able to turn the driveshaft in the yoke (clockwise/counterclockwise) at all. If it's more than a couple of thousandths of an inch you need a replacement. If the yoke is okay, get some Honda "Moly 60 Paste" and lightly paint it on the splines of the driveshaft and yoke, then finish up with some regular moly grease.

The grease fitting on the lower end of the swingarm is a cruel joke at best. Don't use it. It won't allow any grease to penetrate to the driveshaft/coupler splines where it needs to go. If you haven't removed the rear wheel and checked the driveshaft and final drive coupler, do it and do the same thing to the splines and coupler at the final drive.

Regards,

Scott
        -- Scott
        _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

It is not out of the bike at the moment. I noticed this when putting the motor back in and thought it prudent to inquire about it.
          Thanks for the tips. I will have at it and make things right.
          LuckyEddie
          1982 XV750J Virago
          1976 GL1000
          1978 GL1000 Supercharged

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyEddie View Post
            It is not out of the bike at the moment. I noticed this when putting the motor back in and thought it prudent to inquire about it.
            Thanks for the tips. I will have at it and make things right.
            Good idea! Ken Talbot wrote a Tech Tip and it's on site here:-

Greasing the Driveshaft Splines

It has pictures and it explains what to check.

Regards,

Scott
            -- Scott
            _____

Comment

I recieved another u-joint from Andreas and installed it last night. It fits like a glove.
              LuckyEddie
              1982 XV750J Virago
              1976 GL1000
              1978 GL1000 Supercharged

Comment

Hey guys, I wondering, is the problem with the grease fitting with where it is or with the fact that the grease can't get into the splines with the shaft assembled? If it's the first, could you not reposition the fitting to put the grease where it would do some good? I know there might be an issue with clearance where it needs to go (internally) but that could probably be handled by welding a small bung where you want the fitting to go.
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Hey guys, I wondering, is the problem with the grease fitting with where it is or with the fact that the grease can't get into the splines with the shaft assembled?
                  It is a design problem. Once the drive shaft is connected to the final drive, you CANNOT get any grease into it! It's very easy to pull the four nuts and the final drive off to grease the splines when you change the rear tire.
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

timing interval

Yes, i'm sure a person could cut a hole in the outer shield,
                    weld on threads for a bung.
                    Drill the shaft(not the greatest plan)
                    and thread the shaft for a grease zirk.

but the you would still have to take the bung out have the bike on the
                    center stand, and turn the rear wheel to find your zirk.

Not saying it can't be done, or shouldn't be done..

i'm just questioning the fact that, it really only needs to be done now and again, NOT once a week.(normally)
                    1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.

2012 FJR1300 Gen 2. Heli bar risers, R-gaza crash bars, mccruise cruise control.

(2)2008 WR250R. Because kids outgrew others.

2007 Suzuki V-Strom 1000. (Just added 2024) pre-crashed.

1975 Kawasaki S1 250. My first bike. Still have it. NO I'm not selling it!!

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

Working...
                    X