Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anybody tried the new green coils from MikesXS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anybody tried the new green coils from MikesXS?

Mikes has a new 3.3 ohm primary dual tower high performance coil (Part #17-6810) That looks like it would be killer for the XS11. Anybody tried theses yet? There a bit spendy at $69 a pop but they look like they might be the hot ticket for our bikes.

They always seem to be out of the cheaper ($34 a pop) high performance coils or at least they are when I try to order some.

I'm going to be doing other mods first but I'd like to try hotter coils before the end of summer.

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Geezer - I saw another thread that mentioned them and said they would work. That post also said to make sure you insulate your electrical connections well so they don't arc to the frame. Might have to make two angle brackets for mounting to get the high tension wires pointed in the right direction. I've been kind of drooling over those myself - 45k volts up to 75k sounds pretty awesome. I've got the $34 variety installed now, and they work great, and installation didn't require any additional brackets.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I am still running stock, what kind of performance upgrade would this make?
      1979 Standard F, At least I think it is.

Comment

Aside from eliminating 30 year old electronic gremlins, you get a much hotter spark to help with complete combustion.
        I know this, because Tyler knows this.

1980 SG
        3J6 003509
        Kerker 4-1 (sans baffles)
        Fuse Block Upgrade
        Mike's XS Green Coils
        Pods w/Homemade Velocity Stacks

Comment

what kind of performance upgrade would this make?
          The significant kind. It's a very good upgrade to these old ignitions. You'll notice it right away when you fire it up after installation.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by drooker56 View Post
            I am still running stock, what kind of performance upgrade would this make?
            I think mine ran better overall after the swap, but even if it ran the same, just being able to easily replace wires makes it more than worth it.

What gap are people using with these coils? I'm at .045 and it's fine. The 1st set of new plugs I installed about a year after the coil mod, I forgot and gapped according to the manual (.033 I think). Took me a few days to figure out why she wasn't running as good.
            '80 SG
            '79F engine

Comment

I don't have a problem making brackets but I'm wondering if they're worth almost $140 for the pair. Well I'm redoing all my brakes first then I'll consider if I'm willing to spend that on the coils.

Tony

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
              Geezer - I saw another thread that mentioned them and said they would work. That post also said to make sure you insulate your electrical connections well so they don't arc to the frame. Might have to make two angle brackets for mounting to get the high tension wires pointed in the right direction. I've been kind of drooling over those myself - 45k volts up to 75k sounds pretty awesome. I've got the $34 variety installed now, and they work great, and installation didn't require any additional brackets.

Comment

Tony - If you look at the price of Dyna or Accel coils, $69 is in the same ballpark. The thing I like about Mike's stuff is that it's generally plug-and-play with our stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
                  Tony - If you look at the price of Dyna or Accel coils, $69 is in the same ballpark. The thing I like about Mike's stuff is that it's generally plug-and-play with our stuff.
                  I have a working relationship with a local bike shop. I'll talk to them and see if I can get a deal on a pair of Accel coils. Probably not but it won't hurt to ask.

Tony

Comment

Z1 has a pair of Dyna DC1-1's they sell for $126. They put out 30k volts which is roughly equivalent to the $34 Mikes XS coils.

Comment

Working...
                    X