xs1100 carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xs1100 carbs

i have an xs1100 motor mounted in my xj, on the carbs i have my 2 fuel lines coming fromeach set of 2 carbs going to the fuel pump, just abovewhere the fuel lines mount to the carbs there is another hose on each set of 2 pointing upwards it hooks to the carb just above the fuel inlet, can anyone tell me where these have to go, and what they are for?
    1982 xj1100
    1983 xj550

Fuel pump? What fuel pump? These carbs don't need no stinkin' fuel pump!

Those two upper hoses get vented to the atmosphere. Put some small filters on them to keep dust & bugs out.

Comment

carbs

hmmm really? cause they came with a pump, this is a 79 xs1100 motor, and it did have a pump on it, the guy i got the carbs from kept the fuel pump as a spare for his bike, so i have the fuel pump from my xj mounted there, and converted the choke to the xj style as well..
      1982 xj1100
      1983 xj550

Comment

Hmm?

Hmm?

Carbed bikes do not use fuel pumps.
        Fuel injected bike have fuel pumps.

But, I wonder if you are looking at the octy?

it resembles a snowmobile pump and have many of the same hook-ups.

Our "octy" is a 2.5 inch square by 1/2 inch thick, it has 4 fuel hook-ups
        and 1 vacuum line hook-up(the brass one)

the "octy" is on the bike to stop fuel flow to the carburaters after the
        engine is shut off, it is a vacuum controled fuel shut off valve.

as i said, it looks like a vacuum operated fuel pump from a sled.
        It's Not.

Webs
        1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.
        1981 Yamaha XJ750RH Seca (War Pig) XS11S front end and rear swingarm with 17" rim, 20mm ammo box saddle boxes, HID headlight, LED aux lights, Heated grips & seat, Bark busters, Harley 12" shocks, S.S. brake lines, oil cooler

PW50, PW80, YZ80(mine? what the??? Brrap OH...)

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

carbs

thanks mind for clearing that up, you nailed it, that is exactly what i am talking about, nice to finally get that straight..lol and also any ideas from anyone on what to use on the lines that are vented to athmosphere forfilters?
          also the stock oil pressure guage on the xs will it work with a automotive type oil pressure guage?i know i have to put the oil level sensor and oil pan from the xj motor on it, but would like to have an oil pressure guage as well
          1982 xj1100
          1983 xj550

Comment

Hey Mav2,

The XS pressure sensor is just an On/OFF type of switch! If you look at the engine, there is an oil galley that runs off to the right from where the XS oil pressure sensor fits, you can unplug that galley plug and put your sending unit for your oil pressure gauge there. Others have actually mounted the gauge directly on that galley, no messy hoses to worry about, routing, breaking and leaking, just a quick glance down and you can see the pressure gauge!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

pressure switch

ok, so it will run a light but not a guage, but that ok too, i am kinda thinking about building up a multiplex system for it using class1 by eskey, i have the parts already, and can use the oil pressure switch as an input to control other functions on the bike,
              1982 xj1100
              1983 xj550

Comment

You can't just say that all carbed bikes don't use a fuel pump, many a carbed bike, honda shadows off the top of my head, use fuel pumps because the reserve tank is lower then the carbs. However our XS's don't need one because the tank is higher so gravity does the work.
                1979 xs1100 Special -
                Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                My Bike:
                [link is broken]

Comment

xs carbs

g'day Mav2
                  I used the copper/brass filters off the fuel tap externally mounted on the bottom of the fuel tank from a Victa lawnmower. They are the perfect diameter for the vacuum lines and cost less than a dollar for a pair. I've had them on for about 140,000Km and there is no sign of deterioration. Good luck.
                  Ride Hard, Party Often
                  Fred
                  78 XS1100E

Comment

Working...
                  X