XS1100 proud owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS1100 proud owner

I just purchased a 1982 Yamaha XJ1100 Maxim. I love this bike. I am in the process of working on this machine, and I can't find the oil filter on it. Can anyone assist me with the location of the oil filter.

Thanks
    LODAK

Oil filter is in a fined filter bowl at the front bottom of engine. It's right between the # 2 & 3 header pipes as they go under the engine. Can't miss it. The drain plug is behind the filter bowl slightly to the right hand side facing forward on the oil pan.
    Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Hey there Lodak,

Welcome to XS/XJ land! Now, PUT THE WRENCHES DOWN AND STEP AWAY FROM THE BIKE!!!

Next, Go to the Member's List, see menu buttons on top, and find Catatonic Bug, and go to his website and DownLoad the manuals. You can also go to the Links Forum, find the thread for the Owner's Manual for the 81H/SH I posted, it's engine and mechanicals are very similar to the XJ, download it and read it, will show you with pictures where the oil filter, MIDDLE DRIVE gear fill and drain plugs as well as the Final Drive and drain plugs are.

Also, READ the tech tips on the Clutch Adjustment, the Cam Chain tensioner adjustments, essentially ALL of the tech tips.

THEN you will be more prepared to start working on your machine with a much less chance of doing something WRONG trying to guess/figure it out as you go, which could lead to very costly damage, even killing your engine!!
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Yep...

If it's stock, it's a cartridge filter... not a spin on. Bottom of the engine, you'll see it's round shape on the pan and a bolt. Look at the threads here before you remove it for tips, and I believe there's some pics that'll show you the exploded view... pay special attention when disassembling, spring, washers... make sure it all goes back properly!
        There is an adapter that can be added to convert it to a spin on.
        Others more knowledgable here can better fill you in on those details.
        Regards... (and cool - another XJ in the family! Sweet...)
        Bob
        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

You're too fast for me T.C.

Good advice... (as usual!)
          Hey T.C., I still need to get with you about one of those nifty fuse blocks and connectors... but I don't have and can't get a paypal acct. right now. Can I send a check, and if so, where? You can PM me if you like. Thanks.
          Bob
          '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
          "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

I thought I heard my name being typed somewhere!

Yeah, I host the XS manuals on my website (in my signature), and the mechanics are almost exact between the XS and the XJ. The '81 XS Midnight (mine) and the XJ share even more similarities that any other XS though (brakes, especially). If you are not completely sure about something, either ask here first, or read about it in the manual THEN ask here before attempting it. There are lots of tips and tricks to getting these bikes running nicely again, and the folks here know them all.

Oil filters, if you haven't bought one already, are available from most auto parts stores. There is a thread around here with the part numbers for several places if you search for it. Remember that there are 3 places to change oil on these bikes, since they are shaft drive. The engine takes regular oil (I'm not going to suggest a brand, for fear of creating another oil thread ), and the middle and final drives take (most use synthetic) gear oil. Be careful removing the middle drive filler cap, as it tends to get stuck, and will round off the allen socket if you force it. Be sure you use metric tools to prevent this.

There is no dip stick for the engine, but the view window is on the lower right side of the engine. Always view it on the center stand or held upright. You'll over-fill it if you leave it on the side stand when viewing the oil level. You can make a dip-stick for the middle and final drives if you like (in the tech tips) or just follow the instructions in the manual for adding the correct amount, and measure it.

Welcome to the forum!
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
            X