Down for the count?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Carl,
    I guess I was about 19, my BSA twin started to rattle perhaps 15 miles from home. By the time I got home the rattle had become a deep booming knock and the reasonably simple replacement rod end shell bearings had become a disaster.
    I was able to find a shop to regrind the crankshaft's rod bearings back to being circular even if 0.1" undersize. Of course the max undersize shells were -0.03" but that was so long ago they were able to pour babbit metal straight into the rod ends.
    Ran that motor another 10,000 miles.
    But I did learn, if it starts to make a funny noise, stop right then. No matter what. Bet you learned that too, right?
    Good luck with the rebuild.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

This can also happen if your valve siezes open in the guide.

I had a valve do this to me on a Honda CB360. It didn't hit the piston, but the positive style rocker pulled the top right off the valve.

I wouldn't think that would bother the rod or the crank. If it did you could tell just by trying to pull the rod up and down from the top, once the barrels are off. The rod will be a visual inspection.

Most of that damage was from the broken piece playing 'pong' between the head and piston.
      Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
      '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Carl - I posted Andreas reply in the SWOXS blog. I know a guy here locally who I'm pretty sure can supply a complete motor. I sent him an e-mail and will let you know when I get a price from him.
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Carl, now I see how that much oil could have made it down your pipes! Once you get that thing fixed you need to mount that piston on a trophy base and keep it on the mantle as a reminder of your triumph over adversity.

I don't know what the interchangeability is between years, but I just saw a complete set of jugs, pistons, and con-rods from an '81 on ebay this morning going for $80 with 1 day left in the auction.
          I know this, because Tyler knows this.

1980 SG
          3J6 003509
          Kerker 4-1 (sans baffles)
          Fuse Block Upgrade
          Mike's XS Green Coils
          Pods w/Homemade Velocity Stacks

Comment

I just talked to my mechanic and he's found a complete engine for me for $100. I asked him to make sure to do a compression check but for that price, I just couldn't pass it up. Is it an easy or at least fairly easy process to swap an engine? I mean I've done it on a 1989 Chevy Beretta and it took me every weekend for a month, but somehow I suspect it was a little more complicated than this is gonna be.
            If you don't own a fire extinguisher, do me a personal favor and go purchase one... immediately.

1980 MNS

Comment

Depends on the year, kinda.

The years are fairly interchangable with the exception of the timing issues. IIRC the 78 and 79 are pretty much swap it in and be done. But the 80, 81, and 82 XJ all had a litttle diff setup for timing as to what was in the TCI and what was done mechanically. There are definitely folks here that can do it in a day I bet, but I aint one of them! I've pulled the engine out of a volkswagon in an evening and the same for a 231 out of an 84 Cutlass. So I am sure we could get it done in one weekend for the most part. If it is from an XJ it will require some more pieces to be swapped. It can be done though for sure.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Carl, whenI pulled the engine from il barrachino, it took about three hours, that is without ever having pulled the engine out of anything before. shouldn't take too long, you might be able to do it in a Saturday, or maybe a Sunday, whichever you have time for. good deal on the find, hope it's in reasonably good shape. have a nice day and ride safe
                I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

The hard part is probably going to be lifting it into place. Rumor has it they're heavy .
                  I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I had the guy that used to live down the street help me put mine in, that was REALLY the easy part, making sure everything is hooked up correctly and that you didn't forget anything is what really takes time. Carl could facilitate the process by continuing the engine removal proceedure as he might be able to get it to the remove engine from frame step before anyone shows up to pull it out, then it's just the install that has to be done, removal takes a few minutes once everything is disconnected, of course install only takes a few minutes as well, it's the hooking up of everything that takes time have a nice day and ride safe
                    I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Hey Carl,

I was thinking (a dangerous situation I know) and I figure if I were you, I'd check the gears in that new/used engine and give them the dremel grind before you load that thing up. It would not be unreasonable to think they might be worm for that price, and be MUCH easier done before you load it into the frame. JAT.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                        Hey Carl,

I was thinking (a dangerous situation I know) and I figure if I were you, I'd check the gears in that new/used engine and give them the dremel grind before you load that thing up. It would not be unreasonable to think they might be worm for that price, and be MUCH easier done before you load it into the frame. JAT.
                        If it were me, I'd do like Don is suggesting. My bike is starting to show signs of needing the 2nd gear fix and I'm not really looking forward to turning the whole thing upside down to do it.
                        I know this, because Tyler knows this.

1980 SG
                        3J6 003509
                        Kerker 4-1 (sans baffles)
                        Fuse Block Upgrade
                        Mike's XS Green Coils
                        Pods w/Homemade Velocity Stacks

Comment

Working...
                        X