bowl gasket mismatch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bowl gasket mismatch

I am rebuilding the carbs aff my 78E.I noticed that the bowl gasket sticks out from under the bowl in the spot shown in my pic.Sorry about the poor quality pic.The problem is that there is a passage there too which goes up into the carb body.There is no hole in the bowl to line up with it,obviously .So I cant figure out why that passage is there.Should I flip the gasket so it blocks the hole or is it supposed be open.Even if I flip the gasket to cover it, without the bowl being shaped like that it wont seal anyway.
    What do you guys know or think about this?
    Thanks,Rick

80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Are all 4 of them like that?
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Yea, they are all the same.I used the old gaskets that the last owner had in there.The new gaskets that came in the kits are the same.All the bowls are the same too.
      80 SG XS1100
      14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

I don't know why they are like that but that is normal.
        79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
        79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Yup - mine are like that too. Not a problem. Sometimes you have to adjust the hole that the brass tube goes through if you use 80 gaskets on a 79 or vice-versa as the tubes are in a slightly different local.
          I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

What you are seeing with that hole is the air passage that allows the enrichener circuit to recieve the ambient (outside) air pressure it needs to allow the fuel to flow through the circuit. The passage in the bowl that mates up to this is actually the slot that is cast into the back of the bowl. If you'll notice, the enrichener tube sits inside the hole in the bowl, which is also in this slot. I had a problem a few months ago with gaskets that bolcked off this vent hole in the carb body, and I had no choke at all. Once I discovered the missing hole in the gasket, and remedied that situation, it started instantly every time since, so no, do not block that hole, make sure there is a corresponding hole in the gasket.

Comment

Block holes?

Been there, done that, don't block em.
              78 XS1100E Standard
              Coca Cola Red
              Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
              http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
              http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
              http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

That is good news.It just looked funny to me.I'll put the carbs on and see how they run with the rebuild
                Thanks guys.
                Rick
                80 SG XS1100
                14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Working...
                X