Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha/XJ11 Mirrors

Hey

I need to clear up some confusion I have on mirrors on my 82 XJ11 and I guess most yamaha's for that matter.

When I bought my very used XJ11 a couple of years ago it was missing a number of parts; including the left hand mirror. About that time I bought what I remember as a set of mirrors that said they would fit a Yamaha .

Without out going into the details, I am just now getting around to putting them on the the bike. Or should I say trying to put them on the bike (the package is long gone).

One will screw into either side of the bike (righty/tighty) but only will point the mirror to the rear on the right side. It will thread into the left mount but then points the back of the mirror to the rear.

The other mirror has threads that screw in to the left and won't go into my mounts.

Did I end up with a set of mirrors that do not fit all Yamaha's or is the XJ11 an exception to the normal Yamha set up? Before I buy another set of mirrors I need to know.

Thanks

Mirrors

In replacing my mirrors I have learned that the left hand is reverse threads. This was a standard arrangement. I drilled out both and added a helicoil inserts both with right hand threads. Entire process took about twenty minutes and looks great. Found the inserts at a local Auto parts store, 2.00 each. Be careful these mounts are aluminum, i did all the drilling, tapping, etc., by hand with a small crescent wrench. In terms of being able to see the road behind me, it was worth it if it had taken all day. Good Luck.
    Unless you are the lead sled dog the view never changes.

Comment

On Battle Cat it has both right and left hand threads so maybe the XJ is a little different. Garry
      Garry
      '79 SF "Battle Cat"
      outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

Re: Yamaha/XJ11 Mirrors

I know for sure that Yamahas between 1978 and 1980 used a left hand thread on the right hand mirror. I think they did this longer but I can't remember the cut off date. On my Yamahas, I've always reamed out the threads on the mastercylinder mirror mout hole and put in a helicoil so I could use all the more common mirror sets.

You can identify a mirror with LH threads by the line turned into the lock nut.

Geezer

Originally posted by Chazcee
        Hey

I need to clear up some confusion I have on mirrors on my 82 XJ11 and I guess most yamaha's for that matter.

When I bought my very used XJ11 a couple of years ago it was missing a number of parts; including the left hand mirror. About that time I bought what I remember as a set of mirrors that said they would fit a Yamaha .

Without out going into the details, I am just now getting around to putting them on the the bike. Or should I say trying to put them on the bike (the package is long gone).

One will screw into either side of the bike (righty/tighty) but only will point the mirror to the rear on the right side. It will thread into the left mount but then points the back of the mirror to the rear.

The other mirror has threads that screw in to the left and won't go into my mounts.

Did I end up with a set of mirrors that do not fit all Yamaha's or is the XJ11 an exception to the normal Yamha set up? Before I buy another set of mirrors I need to know.

Thanks
        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
        X