Midnight special appraisal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

free midnite

Not to bust anyones bubble, but I got an 80' Midnite special for free, thanks to the Wiz-alias Steve, who just moved to Carolina. It was in similar shape and had to be gone through to get running right. You guys are right about cost,,,so far mine is 200$ tires, 80 battery, 10 fuseblock, gazillion cans of carb cleaner, seafoam, touch up paint, hours of derusting, polishing, registration,etc.....about 500 to get road ready. For me, a loaded MNS is easily worth 1000.00. I mean what kind of black, freakin'piece of mechanical nature speed demon, can do it all motorcycle, can you get for a grand????? Get is asap or someone on site is going to grab it. Good luck, Mike in Sun Diego
    mike
    1982 xj1100 maxim
    1981 venture bagger
    1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
    1959 wife

Comment

Originally posted by webbcraft2150 View Post
      I paid $1800 in '85 for my full dress 80G with 6k on the clock. This was a turn-key, ride it home bike. The PO had reciepts for over $800 in work he had done to get it running, hence I did not balk much at the asking price. There can be alot of hidden problems in the XS that if its not running, can be almost impossible to find. Any barn baby is gonna take a bunch-o-work to get it on the road. You have to decide if you want to tackle the jobs that lay before you. Most shops will not even look at your bike cause its too old and if they do, you are likely to get it back in worse shape and spend alot of $$$. ANY problem with the XS can be cured thru this website. If you have any experience with a wrench, you can get it back on the road. If you have no experience with a wrench, and you have patience, you can get it back on the road, it will just take a little longer. The MNS is a really cool bike when brought back to its former glory and is a coveted model here on Ch.11. You will cuss 'em like sailor, smoke like a train and drink like a fish before you get it dialed in and running, but it is worth it. I think his asking price is way to high for a non running bike, but then again, you have to decide how bad you want the bike and if you are willing to bring it back to life.
      So, Keioki, do you think $200 for a non-running, sight unseen, 81 Special is a good deal?

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
        So, Keioki, do you think $200 for a non-running, sight unseen, 81 Special is a good deal?
        Ya just had to twist the knife again didn't ya? I was a victim of no time, and less money, and you preyed on my moment of weakness. A $200 Special in one piece? Hmmmm, might be a good deal 'specially IF you had, I mean could, have it running THE NEXT FREAKIN DAY!!!! Hey, it worked out for both of us. I almost parted it out before I moved but could not bring myself to do it. Between your 2 C-notes and the bucks I made off its sister parting it out we both made out. You got a fixable bike, I recovered my money and another XS was put back on the road. Now, if you could just get the FJ to be as reliable as the Foster Child.
        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

So from reading the above post ^^ That midnight special cost $200!

That's not what I would call free!

Free = no money

---------------------------------------

I looked all over Craig's list in the USA!,
          (I found a website that combines all of Craig s list)

and found only 4 , 1980 XS1100 MNS for sale! in the entire US of A!

and only ONE was a fully decked out, & in semi-decent shape!

So, I have decided I will offer the owner 800 dollars!

and will pour the sour milk idea on him,

you know PO that it needs tires, battery, brakes, fork seals bla, bla, bla, title reg, oil- mid, gear, fork oil, carb, carb boots, a tune etc..

and see how that one goes over,

but I will go up to $1000 if I need too!

I can not allow this bike to get away folks!, (MNS= very rare here in Vermont)

I already ordered the gas tank, tires, carbs, carbs boots, clutch and brake cables, for a bike that is NOT even mine yet!

How is that, for pre-buying with confidence for you!

Tony

Comment

You got a fixable bike, I recovered my money and another XS was put back on the road. Now, if you could just get the FJ to be as reliable as the Foster Child.
            Actually, that @&%$ FJ is right where I want it, and I'm not always trying to catch up with it.

Comment

Ya just had to twist the knife again didn't ya... Now, if you could just get the FJ to be as reliable as the Foster Child.
              Talk about twisting the knife... John wanted me to ride up to the TX/ OK border with him this afternoon.. but I may just stay here and work on the FJ...

Originally posted by Tony The Tiger View Post
              So from reading the above post ^^ That midnight special cost $200!...
              I already ordered the gas tank, tires, carbs, carbs boots, clutch and brake cables, for a bike that is NOT even mine yet!
              Sounds like you have a LOT invested in this bike already!
              I hope you get a great deal on it...
              Best of luck!

Originally posted by John View Post
              Actually, that @&%$ FJ is right where I want it
              for now
              and I'm not always trying to catch up with it
              yet

81 SH Something Special
              81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
              81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
              80 LG Black Magic
              78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
              For those on FB

Comment

OK, I went to look at the bike today and it is a POS, so it is a no sale!

but the other good news is I did buy a 400$ XS11

Pictures tommorrow,

and oh yeah,

I almost forgot, I did not have a moto trailer when I went to look at the bike,

so the PO

said he will put it in the pickem up truck, and follow me home for gas money

thats a four hour trip!

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                  You ain't seen nothin' yet!
                  This place has ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you might ever want or need to know about these bikes. If you do get that bike, make sure you get a manual (available in my signature). There are parts guys here who sell parts for cheap, and there are guys who just seem to be able to find these bikes out there for FREE (ahem... Chevvy_338) and guys who just can't stop buying them (especially in Canada ).

Do what you can to get that bike, because I guarantee that once you ride it, you'll be addicted too!
                  that's right i did and really proud of what i found
                  1980 xs 11 special

The motor vehicle action sequences depicted in this film are dangerous. All stunts were performed in controlled environments with professionally trained stunt crews on closed roads. No attempts should be made to duplicate any action,driving or car play scenes herein portrayed.

Comment

Working...
                  X