fit to drive, fit to share

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fit to drive, fit to share

Finally did some of the work I've been itching to do for years. I basically rebuilt the front end, tree bearings, calipers, progressive springs, TKAT brace, cleaned up lower forks (thanks to my kids on that one), cables, ignition switch, SS brake lines on the way (set 2, set 1 from Mikes XS was a no-go), painted the jugs, head, cam cover, rim, rotors, calipers, frame wherever I could access with pipes off, new (to me) exhaust off a standard with sawed off mufflers.

There must be more I'm not remembering - It's not possible to summarize that much time and money in a paragraph is it??

anyway, I'm pleased with the results so far and looking fwd to getting the stern done too.

cheers and jeers

cheers to the pipes from Andreas. They sound freakin great with the mufflers sawed off. Not near as loud as I expected, just deep and throaty, something like a v8 sound (1/2 a V8 sound I spose!). Get some endcaps made up to make them look finished and legal and call it done. If I still like em at the end of the season I'll get em rechromed. I posted a video on youtube if anyone is bored enuff to listen. Just search youtube for "sawed off Standard pipes on XS1100 Special."

cheers to the TKAt brace, just based on looks alone. It makes the front end look more solid (which it is). I thought it might detract from appearance, but not IMO. can't wait to see how she handles now.

Jeers to the crap SS lines from Mikes XS. The two lowers didn;t fit (my fault, I should have put more thought into it before ordering), but I left the upper on because I really didn;t want to loosen up the forks and take that Yamaha badge plate off to get at the banjo bolt. As I was finishing up my first (messy and expensive) bleeding job, I noticed one of the fittings on the SS line was weeping, so it has to come off anyway. Just as well, I didn't like the idea of having Chinese gear on the bike anyway. If they can't keep poison out of their own milk....

All for now. Here's a few pics as she sits waiting for a little shakedown run tomorrow. Hope it's legal here to run without a headlight in the daytime.

'80 SG
    '79F engine

Very nice

My first one looked just like that.When you gonna ride it?
    Its not legal to run without a headlight here anymore IIRC
    Have fun. Rick
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Just got back. Started to rain. Running good, but lots of popping when I back off on the throttle. I still have some tuning to do. The pipes are on the verge of too loud, but I think some sort of endcap will tone it down just right.
      '80 SG
      '79F engine

Comment

I have found with a more open exhaust (mine are drilled out on the end stock pipes), it is just about impossible to eliminate the decel popping. JMHO
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Is it because less backpressure allows more unburned fuel to pass through the engine? If that's all it is I don't care, as long as it sounds sweet on accel and fuel use isn't insane.
          '80 SG
          '79F engine

Comment

ha, just noticed that the flash revealed some spots I'd missed on the engine. Hard to see with naked eye though.
            '80 SG
            '79F engine

Comment

Yeah, getting down into the cooling fins CAN be a problem! The popping on deaccel is usually a LEAN condition. You chop the throttle, and no fuel so it gets hot. Sometimes if you turn out the mixture just about 1/2 turn, it will quiet it down.
              Good looking bike!
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
              X