Xs11 cdi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xs11 cdi

This is not a tech question, just sharing some info. Back in 1990 I purchased a 79 xs11 Special used from a local yamaha dealer. Bike never ran well from the beginning. Being used it came with no warranty. It ran OK from idle to about 3 grand. from 3-4,000 it really struggled and above that it was slow to climb. Went through the carbs and that didn't help. Had a different dealer troubleshoot it. Service guy swaped out a CDI from another XS11 he had and the bike took off like a raped ape. Bad CDI. Now back then there was very little internet or ebay to find parts. Yamaha would gladly sell me a new one for $525. WOW!! I finally gave up and sold the bike as is for a couple hundred bucks with less than 7K on the odo.
    Now I've got a 79 Standard needing alot of TLC. Bike is almost done.
    Hope to ride it soon.

Too bad the only thing that really goes wrong with the TCI (not CDI) takes about 15 minutes and .50 of solder to fix!

If only we knew then what we know now...
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

I had a TCI unit i tried the solder fix on.No good and i questioned my soldering skills as i don't do it often.I took it to the TCI guru Randy and he re soldered it and put it on his tester-no good.I bought one from him and put it in my SG and it started.I believe he told me some things can go kaput in there so i also bought a back up.E-Bay has them but the prices do vary greatly!
      1980 XS1100 SG
      Inline fuel filters
      New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
      160 mph speedometer mod
      Kerker Exhaust
      xschop K & N air filter setup
      Dynojet Recalibration kit
      1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
      1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Working...
      X