Need repair shop in St. Charles MO area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need repair shop in St. Charles MO area

Hi, I am trying to find a good service center in the ST. Charles MO area. I think I got the Bike mostly ready last summer. I need 2 tires and a tune up mostly. I do not have time to do this myself. does anyone here know anywere I can take thins for repair? or is there a fellow board member that lives in the area that works on them? I will pay ofcourse

thanks again for the help.
    "Lead by example, Follow by choice"

1979 xs1100sf 10,182 miles

Hey! A new face in the area! Good to know there's more XSives around St. Louis! Unfortunately, I don't have much of an answer for you, as I don't trust mechanics to work on my vehicles (especially my bike). I have done all my own work. What all do you need to have done? I'd be happy to help if you need it! I'm over in North St. Louis County, not far from St. Charles. I got the only tire that I've purchased from a local street bike shop (Street Bikes Plus), and all I did was take them the front wheel and had them mount and balance it for $20 extra. I figure there are no moving parts in a tire, so they can't screw that up TOO badly... Anyway, as far as tuning, I've relied on the folks here to walk me through everything I've needed, and plan to run over to Kansas City this summer to utilize some of their manual expertise with fine tuning.

I know Big St. Charles Motorsports just had their grand opening last weekend, and though they focus on Hardleys, they do sell and service metric bikes too. Good place for parts if you can't wait for them to be shipped via the internet.

I'd be happy to lend my services if you wanted to bring it over to my place too. Let me know if I can help at all!
    Last edited by CatatonicBug; 05-29-2009, 11:17 PM.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I can't remember exactly what it needed when I stoped working on it. a few things have came to mind that I really want done. the problem Is I have no time to work on this at all.
      things I think I need done.

1. I don't remember but i think the carb is still leaking gas in the #4 cylinder. Carb was rebuilt probably needs float adjusted and will forsure need carb tuned.

2. gas tank has rust inside it need to be cleaned out, I have seen guides on the forums here how to do it but I have no time to do this myself.

3. I have a set of breaks for it but I haven't put them on.

4. needs 2 new tires.

5. fork seals need to be fixed (I have a kit)

I think that might be all. I did so much to it last year and finaly got it to start.

here is the link to the post for the work I did last year and all the help I got from the forums

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18528

Comment

Well, if the tank is rusted, there is the chance that rusty bits are flaking off and getting into the carbs, and possibly messing with the float needles. You say you don't have the time to do this stuff yourself - the question is, how valuable is your time? You can spend hundreds (often more than the bike is worth) just to pay a shop to rebuild carbs. So, there is no telling how much you might have to spend if you take it to a shop to get all that done.

Is it running now? Like I said, I'd be happy to help where I can, and little tuning things and adjustments are not really an issue, especialy if you are interested in working on it together. If you want to just drop it off at my place, I'd be happy to be your mechanic for a while! If it's just a matter of not having enough time, I'd be happy to sell you some of mine! I'm no expert, but hey, I got MINE running by myself, and I'd be a HECK of a lot cheaper than a professional shop mechanic. Of course, it would probably take a while longer too...

I look at stuff like this as a way to teach myself new things, so I would definitely be asking on this forum for guidance along the way. Your call.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

thanks again. I might be interested in paying you to work on it. I know the carbs to not need to be cleaned or rebuilt I just did that last year and it has has less then a quart of gas ran throuhg it since then. I also installed inline filters to keep it from getting rust in the carbs I think if it needs anything done to the carbs it will need the float adjusted. I was looking over the list of what I did last year and I think if I can get the rust out of the tank then there is not much left to do to the bike.
          I forgot how much time i had spent on it...

Comment

Originally posted by edavi394 View Post
            I forgot how much time i had spent on it...
            Never keep track of the time on your own bike. You loose the enjoyment of working on it.

PM sent
            1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Working...
            X