No announcement yet.

Thinking of downsizing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suggest you consider a XS750 or 850. They are 3 cylinder - much smoother ride then the 650.

Deny
    1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
    1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Hi drooker56,
      I think as usual lots of good opinions. I think you desire to customize will be beter served by the XS650 .MikesXS has a business dedicated to the model. Plenty of others out there doing what you like to XS650's I have an XJ650 and it is a great bike but does not lend it's self to customising.
      Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Thats true Phil. It depends too on the type of customizing you want to do. For my 1100, for example, most of it has been metal finishing. Lots of chrome, powder coating, and paint which can be done to any bike. I have fabbed a few parts, and adapted things like Kuryakyn signals. My switch housings are the chrome ones from MikesXS, in fact. But I did see a really clean XS650 once (Heritage) with tall bars and either mono rear suspension, or rigid. Very nicely done. I doubt the builder found that setup in a catalog tho. Available forward controls seem to be the biggest reason to go with the xs650.
        matt
        1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
        1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
        1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
        2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
        2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike

Comment

Don't do it.
          1981 XS 1100 midnight special

Comment

If you want to tinker with an old Japanese motorcycle, the XS650 is tough to beat. The best part is that parts are so readily available. I bought a new one in 1983 and I still ride it regularly. I can run with the XS1100 in the twisties and maybe get through even faster if the turns are tight. I run around town on it all the time. the XS650 just isn't fun riding over 60 mph for very long.

The XJ650 by comparison is a completely different animal and much like the XS1100. I wouldn't want to have to buy parts for it. For the XS650, you can get anything. Keep the XS1100 for highway duty. They'll make nice stablemates.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by dragxs11 View Post
              ...Available forward controls seem to be the biggest reason to go with the xs650.
              matt

http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/id13.html

Some nice Forward Controls
              Josh Yoquelet -- I'm having dreams of my XS
              '79 XS11SF "stock"- 4/1 Kerker, T.C.'s fuse block
              '79 XS11SF "bobber"- Rotted in a pine tree for 10 years
              '81 Air forks w/23,000 miles
              New steering head races and bearings
              '78/'79 standard wire harness
              Drag bars, w/Mikes controls
              T.C.'s fuse block
              PNM Coils
              7mm Dyna Wires
              NGK Resistor Caps
              Custom 1" clutch and 9/16" MC

http://xs11bobber.tripod.com

Comment

They sure look nice but my first thought was..If that goes over they're going to bust the crap out of the cases.

Just me?
                RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

i would keep the 11... i went to the suchess when some of the xs650's anf a couple of xj' 650's were there and a couple of them asked if i would trade my 11 for there's ... i said no way!
                  " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
                  xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
                  8mm msd wires
                  tkat fork brace...
                  Fox shocks...
                  mikes650 front fender
                  led's gallore...
                  renthal bars
                  gold valve emulators
                  vmax tensioner
                  Rifle fairing

Comment

SR500 is a sweet bike

I'm a fan and collector of Yamaha SR500s. I recently acquired an '81 Midnight Special and I think I now have the best of two diametrically opposed motorcycle worlds.

I have an immaculate showroom stock SR500 with 10,000 pampered miles on it and I have a lightly modded SE500 that I plan to go the full cafe racer route with.

There is a joy of riding the 500cc thumper that the excess 11 can't touch. The 1100 is excessively big, excessively heavy, and excessively fast. (one out of three ain't bad tho).

Having said that, the 1100 is a great two up road burner. One area where the light and nimble 500s fail.

On a twisty road the little 500s will eat the behemoth's lunch every time though and is a blast to maneuver, carving turns like it's on rails.

Here's some photos:

First the stock 1978 SR500E (w/ rare factory windscreen):

Next lightly modded SR500E, also a 1978 model"

The SR500 in it's natural element:

My XS100LH "Midnight Special" :

Both great bikes!
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special - induction and head work, bored w/ Wisco pistons, SuperTrapp 4 into 1 stainless exhaust. This bike was built by someone who knew what to do - it flys

1978 SR500E - pristine stocker

1978 SR500E - soon to get cafe style makeover

Comment

Working...
                    X