Thinking of downsizing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of downsizing...

This is probobly not the right room so I apoligize but i would like some feedback. I have bean bit b y the customizing bug since blessing of the bikes. I am thinking of downsizing to an xs650 for ease of parts and customability (Is that a word?). What do you think?

This is my bike I just got her back together after a complete tear down and rattle can job. She isn't berfect but she looks a lot better.
    1979 Standard F, At least I think it is.

You could go that route, but if you have put ANY time on the XS11, you WILL regret your action! The 650 just does NOT have the bottom end and smooth cruise of the XS11.
    On the other hand, you CAN get a 650 for a good price some times, and work on it while riding the XS11
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by drooker56 View Post
      This is probably not the right room so I apologize but i would like some feedback. I have been bit by the customizing bug since blessing of the bikes. I am thinking of downsizing to an xs650 for ease of parts and customability (Is that a word?). What do you think?
      Hi Don,
      even living as I do, under the cat's foot; I am allowed more than one bike.
      (no more than 3 and there must be room in the garage for the Buick all winter, things could be worse, eh?)
      One of my other bikes is an XS650 and IMHO it is a better bike for solo riding and day trips.
      It don't have the massive grunt of the XS11 and it can't haul a sidecar very fast
      but it's 80lbs lighter, shifts nicer, corners better and gets far better gas mileage.
      But which XS650? Standard or Special? Wire wheels or cast? Points iggy or electronic? Hey, no matter, the parts all swap like LEGO.
      So. Downsizing BAD. You need both an XS11 AND an XS650.
      Last edited by fredintoon; 05-29-2009, 09:51 AM.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
        Hi Don,
        even living as I do, under the cat's foot; I am allowed more than one bike.
        (no more than 3 and there must be room in the garage for the Buick all winter, things could be worse, eh?)
        One of my other bikes is an XS650 and IMHO it is a better bike for solo riding and day trips.
        It don't have the massive grunt of the XS11 and it can't haul a sidecar very fast
        but it's 80lbs lighter, shifts nicer, corners better and gets far better gas mileage.
        But which XS650? Standard or Special? Wire wheels or cast? Points iggy or electronic? Hey, no matter, the parts all swap like LEGO.
        So. Downsizing BAD. You need both an XS11 AND an XS650.
        I don't even know how to broach the subject of two bikes. That would be ideal I would reall hate to seperate from the 1100 but I would probobly sell to buy another. You made one of my biggest point about parts and swapping them. I could build an arsenal and ride a different version whenever I wanted. Allways wrenching and riding whenever we have a sitter, thats what I want.

Comment

your inventory just got bigger.

I don't even know how to broach the subject of two bikes. That would be ideal I would really hate to separate from the 1100 but I would probably sell to buy another. You made one of my biggest points about parts and swapping them. I could build an arsenal and ride a different version whenever I wanted. Always wrenching and riding whenever we have a sitter, thats what I want.
          Hi Don,
          the babysitting is easy, take the child with you. For that you need a 1½ seater sidecar.
          And for that you must keep the XS11 because an XS650 ain't got the steam to haul a chair at highway speeds.
          To build every aspect of an XS650 a reasonable person would want you need a minimum inventory of:-
          3 cast wheels, one front one drum rear & one disk rear.
          A pair of aluminum rim wire wheels
          A pair of steel rim multi-spoke wire wheels
          2 gas tanks, one Standard & one Special
          2 swingarms (the drum & disk swingarms are slightly different)
          One complete bike. Whatever of the parts list is on the complete bike you can scratch off the parts list, of course.
          This list will only build post 1977 bikes and to be rigorous, you will need an extra frame & seat because the
          '80 & up XS650s have a lift-off seat vs the earlier hinged seat and the seats don't swap.
          Then there's the compressor & spraygun for the colour changes but that's a different post.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I semi-restored an 80 XS650 once. I found out right away that it isn't near as pleasant on the highway. Lots of vibration and moped feel. As a little round town grocery getter, it was kinda fun tho. Charging system has brushes that need to be watched. Maybe try a 750?
            1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
            1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
            1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
            2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
            2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike

Comment

If your thinking 2 bikes why not consider the XJ650? Your get to keep the advantages of the in line 4. It is a bunch lighter and handles much better than than the 1100. Tons of parts available. You can go 2 up comfortably but not as well as the 1100 and there are plenty of them out there. The baby sitter will still be an issue but isn't that what grand parents are for? I had a XS650 for awhile and really liked it but the vibrations were XStream for all day cruising. If only one allowed in your stable than the XJ would be a good compromise
              wingnut
              81 SH (Daily Ride)
              81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
              81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
              82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
              81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by wingnut View Post
                If your thinking 2 bikes why not consider the XJ650? Your get to keep the advantages of the in line 4. It is a bunch lighter and handles much better than than the 1100. Tons of parts available. You can go 2 up comfortably but not as well as the 1100 and there are plenty of them out there. The baby sitter will still be an issue but isn't that what grand parents are for? I had a XS650 for awhile and really liked it but the vibrations were XStream for all day cruising. If only one allowed in your stable than the XJ would be a good compromise
                I think I found the bike. A guy at work has one sitting aroung mostly complete that he has been using for a parts bike. it should be enough to get me started. I think this situation will allow me to keep both bikes but we will see. As far as the grand parents go they have a 37' chris craft and are never around in the summer, the other ones live an hour and a half away. Its not the ideal situation.

Is the vibration I have heard about coming from the road or the engine?

Comment

Originally posted by dragxs11 View Post
                  I semi-restored an 80 XS650 once. I found out right away that it isn't near as pleasant on the highway. Lots of vibration and moped feel. As a little round town grocery getter, it was kinda fun tho. Charging system has brushes that need to be watched. Maybe try a 750?
                  +1

I would look for a Maxim. The xs-650 is a nice little bike but will rattle your teeth out at 75mph.
                  1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
                  1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
                  1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
                  1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
                  1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
                  1982 XS650
                  1980 XS1100g
                  1979 XS1100sf
                  1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

why does it rattle so badly? Is it the engine or road vibration? Can it be fixed?

Comment

xs650

It's the engine. They all vibrate. Nature of the beast. These guys are right about quite a few things. I've owned an xs650 and it'll put your hands to sleep on a long highway run. I currently own an 82 xj650 and an 79 xs11 and they are both smooth compared to the xs650. Seems like my xj650 is a bit quicker than the xs650. Not 100% sure as it's been a long time since I owned the xs650.

Drooker, when you mentioned the "Blessing of the bikes" I knew you were local. I also live in GR and would be willing to let you check out the xj650 for comparison.
                      Mark

Comment

Xs650

Drooker, I would like to also mention that there is a xs650 for sale at the corner of Knapp and Diamond in Plainfield township on the south side of the road. It is partially customized. Straight handlebars, single bucket style seat. No speedo, just a tach, so I can't tell you the miles. That sort of thing. Not sure what they want for it. It has been sitting out by the road for awhile.

Comment

why does it rattle so badly? Is it the engine or road vibration? Can it be fixed?
                          It's a parallel-twin engine. Both pistons move up and down together. That's a lot of mass that's slinging around. It's been a long time, but IIRC, at 5500rpms, that thing was working hard.

Very easy to work on, though. Lots of parts available. One spec site I saw listed the bike at 48hp. You wouldn't know it, though. It was a far more useful engine for torque than HP, IMO. Mine got around 45-50mpg.

When I moved up to the XS11, the big 11 felt like a cadillac. I had no idea bikes were so much more powerful.
                          1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
                          1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
                          1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
                          1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
                          1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
                          1982 XS650
                          1980 XS1100g
                          1979 XS1100sf
                          1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

If you want to downsize, i believe a honda cb750 would be perfect. Any of the models from 74-78...maybe up to 79 i can't remember. Pretty easy to get parts, pretty reliable and smooth. It's got some pretty decent power. I would like to get one to cafe out someday.
                            1978 XS1100E Standard
                            Kerker Exhaust
                            Tkat Fork Brace

On Hold
                            TopCat S.O.F.A. + Fuse Block
                            Mike's XS Pod FIlters

Comment

As I own both I can give you a bit of comparrison. If I have to GO somewhere I invariably take one of the xs11's. As a highway bike they are very hard to beat, smooth, very powerfull, loves to eat up the miles. If I am just running to the store or to work or just down the road a ways to see someone the XJ650 gets the nod for that, smooth and easy, gutsy, corners like a cat, very easy to maneuver and park. That is why I have both.
                              On the other hand, one of my sons friends owns an XS650. I did some work on it for him last week and took it for a test drive. Could not get off of it fast enough! Compared to the XJ that XS was like riding on a Mculloch chain saw.
                              The Old Tamer
                              1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

Working...
                              X