electrical Gurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electrical Gurus

Hello, having a few problems, front turn signals wouldn't come on, rear turns worked, headlight wouldn't work, tach don't work, after reading a few tech tips on electrical/tach, decided to post, it seems I have a bad/no ground, I grounded the front turns to the frame, they now come on and blink, like they should, but had to ground each one separetely (?) I thought if I gounded one this would ground the other as they are both hooked to the headlight shell, I checked the wires to the headlight, right and left,( low/high) they both had power, but still, the headlight wouldn't work, so I used the 3 pin extra wire not hooked into anything, as it has a ground and a hot wire inside, and comes on with ignition, now have headlight on high beam, when I ride, tach still won't work, I believe this may all be from a bad ground, but checked the ground at the regulator, no corrosion, wires are tight, don't know if there is another ground base anywhere or not. Thanks, any help would be appreciated. Later 'Dog

Sounds like you have a ground wire issue for the items you metioned. If you have a volt-ohm meter, check the black wires in the headlight bucket for continuity to ground. All of the grounds are attached to the frame by one of the screws that attach the voltage regulator to the bike. Check the wires at the bucket and the ground point. I think that is where you'll find the problem. The wiring one these bikes isn't all that sophisticated, so don't be afraid to dig in to it.
    The ground wire that is attached to the T/S stem mounting bolt should be plugged into the black wire that has two female connections encased in a clear, soft rubber sheath.

Comment

Besides the bad grounds, the tach not working would have me worried, may be a second issue. Have you checked your charging voltage?

Comment

Rode about 100 miles, this afternoon, with about 6-7 stops, headlight high beam on all day, bike started up every time, without dragging, so I think the charging is ok, will try to check voltage some time today. Thanks for the replys. Later 'Dog

Comment

Working...
        X