speedo change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speedo change?

I dislike the 85mph speedometer on my 80 XS1100 special. My 79 had a speedometer that read to over 100 mph. I was wondering if they are interchangable? Aslo, a tire question. Years ago I used an arco rear tire, don't remember the model number but I consistantly got 20 K miles on them. Evidentally they stopped making them because I haven't seen one in ages. Typically I get only about 6 or 7K miles on whatever else I use. Any suggestions on a long lived tire? I haven't raced in ages so the "soft rubber" for traction is irrelevent.

There is a 160mph speedometer that came on the early models. It will work on the later models. I don't believe there is any special adjustment needed to swap them out. They are available on ebay every once in a while.

As for tires, there are innumerable threads here about them, and the preferences that people have. The idea of getting 20k miles on a set is not one that I have heard lately though. Tires are normally considered "old" after about 3-4 years (read, time to replace them, worn or not), and it's not too common to see that many miles travelled in that short time period.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

ANY Yamaha speedo will work on the specials. The 750 is a good replacement, as it goes to 140. The only thing you will probably have to do is replace the connectors on the wires.
      As far as tires, The Dunlop Elite 2 and 3 seem to get about the best. I've had 14K+ on my standard, and I'm just starting on the Midnight Special. I was able to put a 140/16 on the rear of the Special, and it looks good. It's only got about 1500 miles on it, so it will be a while before I can tell you how long it will go.
      Welcome to the board!
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

appreciate advice on speedo's

I think the soft rubber is overstated. I laced up a 15 inch rim on my gold wing in 1975 and installed an auto steel belted radial tire. Commuted several years from boulder creek to palo alto California. No sign of wear and no traction or handling problems on those mountain roads.

Comment

Commuted several years from boulder creek to palo alto California. No sign of wear and no traction or handling problems on those mountain roads.
          I KNOW that road. I used to live about 1 1/2 mile above Waterman Gap. I used an 82 Seca 650 Turbo to commute to North San Jose area! I still ride 9 now and then with Special Ed, as he lives at the bottom of the road now.
          If your still in the area, we should try to get together for one of our "Sunday putts".
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
            As for tires, there are innumerable threads here about them, and the preferences that people have. The idea of getting 20k miles on a set is not one that I have heard lately though. Tires are normally considered "old" after about 3-4 years (read, time to replace them, worn or not), and it's not too common to see that many miles travelled in that short time period.
            I bought my XS last July and got it running early august. It had 27243 on the odometer.

This was taken yesterday:

Not sure why it looks all distorted, might have hit a bump at the wrong time...
            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
            X