New Guy w/Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy w/Problem

Hi XS's...I'm Craig, a dedicated lover of my 1980 XS1100. I'm new here and would like to ask a little help. My bike runs great, but when it gets warmed up and I back off the throttle to come into a town, two cylinders quit. Pulling in the clutch and dropping the engine to idle restores them and off I go again. I just replaced the two coils with the exact same DynaCoils (mounted exactly the same way!) you show in your electrical repair forum. It runs stronger and does the cut-out less, but it still does it! Any suggestions. PS, glad to be here, by the way...kindred spirits and all that. Toodles, CeeCee.

Welcome to the board. Sounds like possibly your pickup coil wires have gone bad. Here's a link to the repair....

http://www.xs11.com/xs11-info/tech-t...pictorial.html
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanx Bikerphil

Thanks for that bit of advice BikerPhil, I took off the left-hand cover and wriggled wires around a bit and then took a test ride and it didn't misbehave. I couldn't see any obvious breaks in the wires (or some kind of 'hourglass' shape), but I imagine that the constant movement of the advance mechanism (over 30 years!) can't be good for them. If it acts up again, I'll go back in (I hate electrical problems!). Anyway, thanx for the effort. Toodles, CeeCee.

Comment

"Wiggling the wires around a bit" is way too timid for detecting breaks. Grab hold and pull - you won't hurt anything that isn't already broken.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Talbot View Post
          "Wiggling the wires around a bit" is way too timid for detecting breaks. Grab hold and pull - you won't hurt anything that isn't already broken.
          Yeah, remember that the breaks are often INSIDE the insulation, and you can't see them. If you pull nice and hard, they'll let go inside the insulation and you'll feel it slip.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

I'm still new here, but I heartily concur. Mine were like rubber bands!
            Bothell, WA
            1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Working...
            X