This is my ALL black Lady

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is my ALL black Lady

I am still going to put on drag bars with risers and put on some new mirrors.
    I am even thinking about a new heavy duty clutch, so no more over revving at 8-9000 rpms.

Bike info:

New tires, re-jetted carbs, updated fuse box, new tail light, new carb boots, new brakes, and a nice big Harley solo seat.I have replaced the coils, wires and put in new plugs, Redone the timing wires and replaced the all the ruber hoses.

Did a compression test with a warm engine with throttle wide open and
    1-160psi 2-130psi 3-160psi 4- 155psi --- IS THIS OK??

I have also sync the carbs, I have the dial type not the mercury. I sync to the 3rd carb witch was just over 20 (psi?) now all the carbs are now sync to 20 when I raise the throttle to 4 -5000 rpms the dials all move and stay together.

I just ran Seafoam through the oil for about 5-10mins then changed the oil.

Should i put a little Seafoam in the gas tank too? The carbs do not need it but on the can it says it helps the inside of the engine too?

In no way i am a professional anything, i just saw the pictures of a chopped XS and really wanted a bike to look like that. As you can tell i dont like chrome. I was not sure what paint to use, but i was walking through Napa and saw some engine paint for about $6 a can and thought why not.

It looks good to me and i even put it on the header (with no problems). I have to admit i turn a lot of heads at stop lights from cars and other bikes because they do not know what kind of bike i am riding.

All i have to do now is just fix the #!@#'n blinkers. Can not get them to flash if my life depended on it. They do come on. The funny thing is they will only flash when the Key is in the "Off" postion and the harzards switch is on. Turn the key on and harzard lights/blinkers stop flashing.

I have had people say that it is because the blinker bulbs are not OEM size..

I have about invested about $1406 including all the paperwork, the bike, tags, parts, tires, and extra parts (that i could not pass up on ebay)..
    I dont want to for get about the custom black engine paint from a can..

AND just incase you didnt see the top side of tank's sticker --NOTHING RUNS LIKE A DEERE

Comment

Man that's sexy! GOOD JOB!!!
      1978 XS1100E Standard
      Kerker Exhaust
      Tkat Fork Brace

On Hold
      TopCat S.O.F.A. + Fuse Block
      Mike's XS Pod FIlters

Comment

does that mean it'll run diesel too? or just that it can cut the grass really fast. i'm just kidding, actually it's a pretty sweet lookin machine. i'm kinda jealous now.
        Whoever coined the phrase livin' the dream forgot to mention whether it was a good dream or bad dream.

'79 XS1100F "Lucy"
        75,000 miles and still goin strong.

Comment

Nice bike,
          I like the all black look.
          Did you check your valve clearances?
          might help with the low reading on 2.
          pete

new owner of
          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
          zrx carbs
          18mm float height
          145 main jets
          38 pilots
          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Is that legal to have the tag mounted that way in CA? Does it have a light over it somewhere?

Yes, Seafoam is designed to be put in the gas. Some here use it regularly, just as a preventative cleaner. I use it in my lawmower too.

As for the blinkers, the voltage is usually to blame. The electrical sensors require that a certain amount of current is pulled through the circuit to allow it to work. Plenty of people here have swapped out the OEM bulbs for LEDs, and if you don't get a good answer in this thread, try a search for LEDs and you should find some good info. It might have something to do with needing an electronic flasher instead of the mechanical one that comes with the bike.
            Last edited by CatatonicBug; 05-28-2009, 10:20 AM.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by whoride76 View Post
              All i have to do now is just fix the #!@#'n blinkers. Can not get them to flash if my life depended on it. They do come on. The funny thing is they will only flash when the Key is in the "Off" position and the hazards switch is on. Turn the key on and hazard lights/blinkers stop flashing.
              I have had people say that it is because the blinker bulbs are not OEM size..
              Hi 76,
              the stock flasher will only flash if it has two 27Watt bulbs to give it a 54Watt load. Bulbs with less wattage will light up but won't flash.
              An aftermarket ~$10 2-pin electronic flasher will work the lower Wattage bulbs but you will lose the self-canceling function.
              The key position & hazards interference thing is most likely a lack of ground somewhere.
              About the bike's "look":-
              The "I'm too cool to have a rear fender" style gotta go.
              It's hard to appear cool with a thick streak of mud & road debris up your back.
              How about fitting a close-fit rear fender that moves with the rear suspension?
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                Is that legal to have the tag mounted that way in CA? Does it have a light over it somewhere?
                Ya, you might want to check on that to save yourself from attention from the CHP's. I know it's illegal in NH to mount the plate that way, sideways and not visible from the left quarter of the rear of the bike. I'm guessing it has to be lit as well.

Just trying to give you a tip, do what you want.

Oh, by the way....the bike looks great!

Don
                currently own;
                1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
                2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

I really like that seat, where'd you get it?
                  Mike C
                  Lake Orion, Michigan
                  '78 XS1100E

Here I am! Where are you?

Comment

The hazzard is a separate flashing unit that is only in circuit with the ignition off. Once you turn the ignition on that circuit is broken in favor fo the turn signal flasher IIRC. That is why you get flashers with the hazard and key off. Like Fred stated the turn signal flasher needs that load to work, with your smaller less load bulbs, it won't go.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

I bought the Harley seat on ebay for $15.00 and $15 shipping. A great price. The plate can be mounted on the side in CA but it has to have a light on it, (which I don’t have, so don’t tell anyone)

Yeah I do not know how to check the valve clearances. I guess I could try to look it up but I just have the XS book I printed out from this site.

--Would it be hard to try to rewire a complete independent turning circuit and even try to put it on a new fuse so I could runs all LED lights around, just like on the new bikes and not have any? Amps or watts would not play that big a factor anymore. Right? Has anyone try this before, or is it not worth the effort? What would this entail?

Thanks for the compliments, it makes me feel a little better about all the time i have spent on it. The wife's real problem is not having a place to ride.. I should have thought that out, Oh, wait i did!!

Comment

Originally posted by whoride76 View Post
                        --Would it be hard to try to rewire a complete independent turning circuit and even try to put it on a new fuse so I could runs all LED lights around, just like on the new bikes and not have any? Amps or watts would not play that big a factor anymore. Right? Has anyone try this before, or is it not worth the effort? What would this entail?
                        Plenty of people have used LEDs all around. You just loose the auto-cancelling feature. AFAIK, there is no re-wiring needed. Lots of threads on that concept.
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold
                        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                        -H. Ford

Comment

Hey there DG,

Sorry but the 4 way flasher is energized with key OFF or ON, so you can run them with engine running or NOT! But yes, it is a separate circuit with separate flasher. IF those turn signals are LEDs, then you'll need to get an electronic flasher for the 4 way flasher location as well as the turn signal.

I had to do some fancy wiring when I put a different earlier model left switch cover on, and it didn't have the flasher circuitry. I used a double pole double throw switch, tapped into the power coming off of the flasher relay just like it does/goes to the normal switch, split it to run 2 lines, then tapped into the left and right turn signals under the seat. Middle position of DPDT was the OFF, and where I had the turn signals wired to, so that they were NOT JOINED/Connected electrically, so that the turn signals would work independently. Thrown to the ON position it joined both sides, and sent power from the flasher to both turn sides for 4 way flashing. Mounted the switch behind the left side cover, easily reachable.
                          T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Whoride, what make, model, year is that seat from? I've looked on ebay and didn't see one that looked like that. Is it pretty comfortable?
                            Mike C
                            Lake Orion, Michigan
                            '78 XS1100E

Comment

I found some seats that look similar, seems to be some make of Dyna seat. Appreciate any info you may have. That seat is just the perfect look for what I want to do with my ride.
                              Mike C
                              Lake Orion, Michigan
                              '78 XS1100E

Comment

Working...
                              X