Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Valve

Hello,

I'm new to this forum so I am not sure if it is OK to solicit parts here. I need one exhaust valve for a 1979 XS 1100. If anybody has any they would like to sell please contact me.

Jim

Hi !

If your problem is bent valve, It can be straigthened (depending on how much damage you have.

To make a short story, If the alve seat is still good and can be lapped, remove the valve and locate the center of the bend. Place the valve shaft on a flat and solid surface. Place shims a ~3/4" each side of the center of the bend (I used screw drivers) place the bend facing up and wack it with a hammer. It's crude but effective. Make sure your not giving too much either : Flxing the valve shaft back and forth too much would reduce its stiffness and make it unreliable.

Hope this helps!:
    Old bikes are nice : don't scrap them, restore them !

Comment

I bought one from Yamaha about 5 years ago for about $15. IMHO, it is not worth the risk to try and bend the one. All of the time you are spending to fix it...
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I did end up straightening the valve. Fortunatly I have a metal lathe available to me so that i could spin it and check it with an indicator while straigtening it with an an aluminum hammer.

Jim

Comment

Gettin' bent, and goin' straight!

Congrats on getting it straightened,

I'm sure you know how to test it for leaks before you put the engine all back together! I had valve that had gotten slightly bent by my overly aggressive application of a wire brush on a drill to grind off built up carbon, caused a slight bend in the neck just below the head, didn't detect it until engine back together, and NO COMPRESSION on that cylinder, had to pull the engine back down and replace it after finding it by removing the springs and spinning it in the seat, the head had the slightest wobble!!!! New valves from Yamaha are over $35.00 bucks now. Somebody posted info on a much cheaper place, not sure if it was DK or PartsnMore.

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

After I straightened the valve with my hammer and indicator, I gave the valve to the guy who was rebuilding my heads. He re-ground the valve so that whatever out-of-round there was left was cleaned up by the grind job. I think it would be wise to always re-grind a valve after straigtening.

Jim

Comment

Working...
            X