No announcement yet.

Pod filters?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I lOVE the sound of the intake. I get way too pissed off with the airbox. My boss has his still on and we had to tune the carbs and pull them out and put them back in and what a PITA.i can get my carbs off in less than a minute. SO nice.

and they look cool
    Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
    1979 XS1100 Special [Full Restore Project]
    XJ maxim rear air shocks
    KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
    Pod Filters

Money pit.......
    BLACKED OUT

Comment

The bike really isn't louder, you can just hear the intake better than with the box on.
      People in traffic around you will hear it better too - not that it's louder .

I made a strap with some one inch wide steel strapping. I made a little bracket that goes between carbs 2 & 3 to catch the end of the strap, and the other end bolts underneath where the top strap for the airbox used to attach. Keeps them from bouncing around, which can't be good for your carb boots. It adds a minute or two to carb removal and installation, but it's still much easier than with the stock box. I love the pods, and wouldn't go back to the stock airbox. One jet size bigger on the mains made my carbs happy when I added them. You will, however, smell some fumes when sitting at a light as the exhaust gasses that blow by the rings will no longer be redirected back through the carbs.
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Another problem I have is riding in the rain...... There is no such thing in my case. Water clogs the filters.... but Im going to make some kind of something that goes around all of the pods, kinda like a little housing
        Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
        XJ maxim rear air shocks
        KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
        Pod Filters

Money pit.......
        BLACKED OUT

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit77 View Post
          What is the thoughts of my fellow XSers when it comes to pod filters? Ebay has a set of 4 for pretty cheap. Any chance anyone has used them?? Trying to get it as cheap as possible
          Hi Austin,
          Ebay is a big place so I need better direction to see those el-cheapos.
          What works on my son's XS650 & XS750 is:-
          http://www.mikesxs.net/products-40.html#products
          item 15-0035.
          No reason they won't work on an XS11 and they do have XS stamped right into the end plates.
          If $64 for 4 of them fits your concept of cheap, try those.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Partsnmore has the same kind of filters, but $4 less per unit. Don't have the XS stamped into them, but they do have the same part number as the mikes pods - 15-0035 - 54mm oval pods. Strange that they have the same part number coming from two different parts sources.
            I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Another problem I have is riding in the rain...... There is no such thing in my case. Water clogs the filters....

Gonna have to call BS. I ride in the rain a LOT. There's some times that going by a truck, you couldn't hit me with a firehose and get more water hitting me... without a stumble. It just sucks up the water, atomizes it with the air/fuel, and actually runs stronger than in dry.

My points have been deciding lately that they don't like to get wet, but I've never run into a problem riding in the rain with pods... ever. I've even left it running while spraying down the filters in the car wash.. though I don't suggest this. The high pressure has opened up the filter material a bit and I need to replace them now.

As for the partsnmore filters.. they are the cheap EMGO filters with the lip. Ape racing products sells a good filter and I've heard that the red oval filters from Mikesxs don't have the lip. Then if you're feeling rich, there's always true K&N.

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

well Im not lying. If it rains, those filters i have get clogged. I might have to try to find a different set.

About a month ago I hit a bad rain storm doing about 100 cause my exit was coming up and as soon as I got to the underpass the thing died out. Took off the filters for the .3 miles to the house and ran good.....
                Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
                XJ maxim rear air shocks
                KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
                Pod Filters

Money pit.......
                BLACKED OUT

Comment

Here is a thought....question really... As far as the "cheap" pods on eBay...i picked up a set for 40 bucks....slapped them on, and didnt notice any issues on the carbs. or maybe there is and i dont realize what it is after cleaning the carbs, and running them, i dont notice any performance issues with the airjet. is it possible that the later carbs (80-81) dont have this issue?
                  '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
                  Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
                  4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
                  Windjammer(wiring issues)
                  SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
                  New paint/brakes to come!!
                  ===============
                  '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
                  ===============
                  '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
                  Stock Pilots/125 mains
                  Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
                  SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
                  LED Brake Lite
                  Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

Working...
                  X