Pod filters?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pod filters?!?!

What is the thoughts of my fellow XSers when it comes to pod filters? Ebay has a set of 4 for pretty cheap. Any chance anyone has used them?? Trying to get it as cheap as possible
    Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
    1979 XS1100 Special [Full Restore Project]
    XJ maxim rear air shocks
    KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
    Pod Filters

Money pit.......
    BLACKED OUT

Austin, do a search, you'll find a LOT of discussion about pods.

Comment

Any particular reason you want to go with pods? I know a lot of people have switched over to them, but the purist in me likes the look of the airbox, so I don't really see the benefit, especially since you might have to deal with re-jetting and all that.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

airbox

The airbox has sat outside for 10 or more years so now it does not look pretty. I dont really want the chrome pieces on the side either since my bike is going to be black and gold [everything]. plus I like the look of pods, a little more sporty I think!
        Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
        XJ maxim rear air shocks
        KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
        Pod Filters

Money pit.......
        BLACKED OUT

Comment

If your bike is not going to be stock anyway, then why not go to pods. It makes life ALOT easier for getting the carbs in and out when you clean them, and clean again, and clean again, then pull again to reset this, and pull again to reset that. BTW, you will be doing that a few times adjusting for pods . Alot of folks run them, they add some power to the bike, make carb maintenance easier, and clean up the center of the bike.

All that said, I have my stock air box and am not planning to change it because it looks good, and my bikes 100% stock with the exception of the OCTY I ditched and some painted parts that used to be bare aluminum. Another county heard from.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Austin,
            If you do the search on pod air filters, youu will find a problem with the cheap ones! The good news is the fix is also cheap, and easy.
            In a nutshell, some of the pods have a lip that interferes with the air jet on the carb. The quick fix is to install the filter on the four rubber intake tubes from the old air box.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

can you fit the filter onto the existing lip or do you have to use the rubber and hose clamp from the pods as well as the existing intake tube?

Comment

take out the tubes that run into the air box and cut off the end that leads to the lip that goes inside of the airbox. UNDERSTAND??? no hose clamps needed
                Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
                XJ maxim rear air shocks
                KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
                Pod Filters

Money pit.......
                BLACKED OUT

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit77 View Post
                  take out the tubes that run into the air box and cut off the end that leads to the lip that goes inside of the airbox. UNDERSTAND??? no hose clamps needed
                  Here is the step by step thread that Ivan did for the pod mod.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...hlight=pod+mod
                  http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Warning

Ha ha! And you want to know about pods! Little do you know what you have started! I'll just bet there are are a few members here with an opinion or two about pods...

But it is just a guess...
                    Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

deff giving me problems
                      Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
                      XJ maxim rear air shocks
                      KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
                      Pod Filters

Money pit.......
                      BLACKED OUT

Comment

deff giving me problems

Spring for some good ones then.

Tod
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

What kind of tires and oil do you use?lol

Oh pods,sorry,it may save serious grief using the box.And you can get a great used one cheap.

It can be a PITA to get pods to run right through all rpm ranges.
                          But hey ,if you have the time and get some jets to work with, it is possible.
                          One thing I notice with pods is they make the bike a lot louder.
                          Rick
                          80 SG XS1100
                          14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

It can be a PITA to get pods to run right through all rpm ranges.
                            But hey ,if you have the time and get some jets to work with, it is possible.

I've seen that with the cheap ones and trying to make velocity stacks, but not with the good pods. I ended up with one size bigger main jet and a good carb synch. Not too tough, and I LOVE the growl I get from them. The bike really isn't louder, you can just hear the intake better than with the box on.

"They" say you can make a couple more HP from the stock airbox, but for the ease of removal/install, I'll sacrifice a couple HP to the gods of simplicity.

My biggest thing about the pods, is I wish there were some kind of simple, yet effective way to support the rear of the carbs vs just having them hanging from the intake boots. I haven't run into any stumbling problems or anything from them bouncing more than the stock setup... but it would simply be for my piece of mind. It would have to be something really simple, or it would negate the ease of removal and installation... the main selling point of them for me.

Tod
                            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100
                            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Thanks. Great link!

That's what I was thinking but when I played with it I was aware that it is an awfully snug fit. but thats'a a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X