Gear whine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear whine

My '79 XS11E had about 20,000 miles on it when I got it, and I've put a couple thousand on it since. Since I got it it has had a gear whine under acceleration that sounds a bit like a truck moving off from rest, or my old Beetle in reverse. It's not very loud, but it is noticeable. Above 25 mph or so it gets drowned out.

I think it's coming from the middle drive. Its pitch is proportionate to road speed, and it doesn't matter which gear it's in.

Is this whine the nature of the beast? or does it portend something serious?

Steve Thompson

Have you checked the fluid levels in the middle drive and final drive? They may be low.

Comment

Fluid levels are good, fluid seems clean.

Comment

You might check the end of the drive shaft and make sure it's got grease in it. You can't zerk it - gotta take the rear wheel and fd off to get at it. I know you said the sound is coming from the middle drive, but sound travels funny on these bikes sometimes. I heard a rattle in mine several weeks ago that I was sure was coming from the front forks - wound up being a loose bolt on the rear fender . Might be whining in the transmission too. Are you getting any metal shavings in your oil? Just some stuff for you to think about.
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by sthomag View Post
          or my old Beetle in reverse.
          Sorry, I have no idea what the problem is, but with that description, I know EXACTLY what sound you mean

I do get a similar sound sometimes when I downshift to 1st while still rolling over 20mph, if that helps any.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Remember these bikes use spur gears in the tranny and a bevel gear in the middle drive. While strong as a shick brithouse, they do whine. Hypoid gears don't whine, and most newer auto stuff is quiet because of that. Reverse on the Beetle was the spur gear whine.

Mine whines like that. I just keep the fluids topped off and make sure it doesn't have a mettalic glitter to it, and ride. I think the sound on my bike is normal. Couldnt say for sire on any other whithout hearing it.
            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Just because the fluids look clean does not indicate that they have not broken down. I drain mine and put in new every spring. My 650 Maxim had the same whine and I traced it to the rear end. Greased the spline but the noise was still there. replaced the final drive fluid with 100% Lucas and the noise went away.
              The Old Tamer
              1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

Working...
              X