gasket suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gasket suggestions

we are pulling the head to replace a bad gasket along with valve adjustment, do you recommend making your own to save money buy them? and a good place to get them

thnx
    1982 XJ1100J MAX ,25.000 miles

If you buy one, it will be cheaper to buy the whole set off of Partsnmore.com than it will be to buy just the head gasket from Yamaha. If the current head gasket doesn't de-laminate too bad when you take the head off.. I re-use them all the time.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Hey Oddball,

I think you are confusing gasket terms here. You only need to remove the Valve cover Gasket to adjust the valves. I don't think you are actually talking about removing the entire head, which is where you get into the HEAD GASKET !!

The valve cover gasket is also available separate from PNM for ~$10.00, and while you're at it, order the half moons, that rubber on them is 25+ years old and probably hard and leaking as well!!!

Or, you can use gasket maker sealant/Yamabond alone as some xsives have done successfully! YMMV!

That gasket is very intricate and is made of stiffer material than just the simple side cover gaskets and such, so trying to make one yourself out of gasket material might not be productive!?
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Being a total Cheap A$$, and not having bought a gasket before I tore into the project of reshimming my valves, I chose to make my own valve cover gasket. Went to AZ and got the only oil rated gasket material they had that was wide enough. Looks brown like carboard. It is definitely an intricate gasket to cut and time consuming. No more so than the oil pan gasket in my opinion though. Mine is holding up pretty well with about 1000 miles on it, I also opened the valve cover back up once since and put it back with the same gasket holding just fine so far.

That being said, if I was planning ahead, I'd buy the gasket.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

I just did the valves on the MNS, and DIDN'T have a spare gasket! I picked up a can of the Permatex Right Stuff gasket maker. Worked great, and took about three minutes to put on! The can I got was about $11, but it makes about six or eight gaskets.
          Part number on the can is 25223.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

"The Right Stuff" is good s#$%! It is formulated to displace oil and seal even if the surface isn't totally clean. It is a tad on the pricy side though. Also it can be put into service almost immediately.

Being the cheap bastard that I am, I just used "Ultra grey" silicone. WOrks well, but the surfaces have to be very clean if there are to be no leaks. Also, it takes about an hour, depending on the humidity, to set up enough to use. Yes humidity is what cures silicone. A hot humid day and it'll skin up in minutes, cool and dry, it might take an hour.

Either way, I wouldn't even bother making or buying a gasket. Too much trouble. IMHBAO (In my humble but accurate opinion)
            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

thnx TOP but i was not confusing them the head is leaking and i NEED todo a valve job and thank you everyone else for your input MUCH apreciated.
              1982 XJ1100J MAX ,25.000 miles

Comment

Working...
              X