getting rubber off windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting rubber off windshield

I am reconditioning and modifying my xj1100 with factory fairing and some of the old foam is stuck to it. any scratches or trashing of the back of the windshield will be seen. Anyone know a product that will get that off without hurting the otherwise good windshield?
    82 XJ 1100
    98 Magna
    past bikes
    ST1100
    92 Harley FXR built
    85 XJ 700 (2)
    86 XJ 700X

WD-40? I've used it on plastics and painted surfaces to remove sticky stuff before with no damage. Bohn mentioned that he used it on his windshield to clean it so give it a try.
    http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Goo-be-gone. Stuff works wonders on all kinds of sticky stuff!
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Yeah, GooGone, or De-Solv-It work really well for that sort of thing. Citrus-based, so it cleans right off with some dishwashing soap.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

still trying

thanks guys, unfortunately the old standby wd40 didnt work and I have some stuff called oops which is like goof off, but that isnt doing much either. the foam is no longer sticky but has hardened on windshield. I am thinking about something softer than the windshield to scrape it offf. maybe other plexiglass from a windshield. fingernail works some but am running out of them.
          82 XJ 1100
          98 Magna
          past bikes
          ST1100
          92 Harley FXR built
          85 XJ 700 (2)
          86 XJ 700X

Comment

I have used a product ...

from 3M .... 08971 release agent. It is designed for this purpose and very handy to have around although a bit pricey.
            80G Mini-bagger
            VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
            79SF eventually dismantled for parts
            79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
            79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
            79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Originally posted by nightpilot View Post
              thanks guys, unfortunately the old standby wd40 didnt work and I have some stuff called oops which is like goof off, but that isnt doing much either. the foam is no longer sticky but has hardened on windshield. I am thinking about something softer than the windshield to scrape it offf. maybe other plexiglass from a windshield. fingernail works some but am running out of them.
              Try some popsicle sticks. I think you can get them at craft stores, you also mist try getting one of those plastic cake knifes as that should be soft and smooth enough to not damage the windshield but tough enough to remove the rubber.
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

You could try some lighter fluid or acetone. I'm pretty sure the lighter fluid will do it. You might have to apply the lighter fluid a few times to let it soak because it dries out fast. The acetone might, but it may be harder to clean off. Ok nevermind...do not use the acetone(it might cause a fogging effect on your windshield).
                1978 XS1100E Standard
                Kerker Exhaust
                Tkat Fork Brace

On Hold
                TopCat S.O.F.A. + Fuse Block
                Mike's XS Pod FIlters

Comment

Working...
                X