Handlebars installed, fairing installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handlebars installed, fairing installed

I want to thank everyone who helped troubleshoot the electrical problem I was having before when I started this project.

It is now finished (today) and I wish to share a couple pics of the end result:

(Original condition of bike when purchased)

(handlebars installed Sunday)

(Fairing installed today)

.....yeah I have some painting to do now

Thanks again for everyone's help.
    EQ
    • 1979 XS1100SF Special Hybrid

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Maybe some orange saddlebags, and you'll be all set!
    Looking good though, really!
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Looking good. Your signature says 78E though.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

1978 XS 1100 "e"

Yeah I did a lot of research when I got the bike and narrowed it down to the "e". Although, it does have a "Special" tank, and a round headlight (for some reason). I could be wrong though. I really need to look at the number on the bike when I'm not busy riding it. Then I can be sure, finally.

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
        Looking good. Your signature says 78E though.

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Comment

My money would be on a 79SF myself. This based on the 78 only being available as a standard, all of the turn signals being round (std are square), The front wheel being mounted in front of the forks and not underneath, The exhaust stops before the rear axle (std exhaust goes past covering the axle), The buckhorn/ "rototiller" handlebars that are Special model type, Seat though seems like a std as it is so flat.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Looks like a 3H3 to me.
            XS1100SF
            XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by equinox1216 View Post
              Yeah I did a lot of research when I got the bike and narrowed it down to the "e". Although, it does have a "Special" tank, and a round headlight (for some reason). I could be wrong though. I really need to look at the number on the bike when I'm not busy riding it. Then I can be sure, finally.
              Hi Phil,
              "commodities relocation engineer"? Ain't that PC for "thief"?
              Whatever, if your bike ain't a Special it's sure trying to look like one.
              From the photos:-
              Forks, front brakes, small tank, seat & grabrail are Special.
              Rectangular gauges are Standard.
              Headlight, headlight ears, signals & signal mounts are aftermarket.
              Special has 16" back wheel, Standard has 17"; what's yours?
              WTF, nice looking bike. Gonna paint the bike burgundy to match the fairing
              or the fairing green to match the bike or go in a different direction?
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                Hi Phil,
                "commodities relocation engineer"? Ain't that PC for "thief"?
                Actually it is PC for Truck Driver...

Whatever, if your bike ain't a Special it's sure trying to look like one.
                From the photos:-
                Forks, front brakes, small tank, seat & grabrail are Special.
                Rectangular gauges are Standard.
                Headlight, headlight ears, signals & signal mounts are aftermarket.
                Special has 16" back wheel, Standard has 17"; what's yours?
                Yeah I get the impression this bike has been considerably altered in a variety of ways. So who knows... I guess it's an XS 100WTF

WTF, nice looking bike. Gonna paint the bike burgundy to match the fairing or the fairing green to match the bike or go in a different direction?
                Thanks and I'm thinking of painting the tank black actually. Leave the rest alone. The green tank just kinda clashes with that fairing lol

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                  My money would be on a 79SF myself. This based on the 78 only being available as a standard, all of the turn signals being round (std are square), The front wheel being mounted in front of the forks and not underneath, The exhaust stops before the rear axle (std exhaust goes past covering the axle), The buckhorn/ "rototiller" handlebars that are Special model type, Seat though seems like a std as it is so flat.
                  Yeah I think it's just a "mutt"... built from a lot of parts through the years.
                  Thats ok, it runs pretty good and handles great. So I'm not complaining

Comment

I hear you completely. I've had four dogs and all have been Heinz 57 mutts. Little of this, little of that, best you can get in my opinion.

If it rides nice, and runs well, then who can argue with that!! It will only be important when you go to get parts for it like brake pads since they are MUCHO different for a Special than a Std on the front (where you have Special forks and therefore brakes) and such like that.

Looks great to me! Ride it like you stole it and enjoy!
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

I hear you completely. I've had four dogs and all have been Heinz 57 mutts. Little of this, little of that, best you can get in my opinion.
                      Yeah I'm happy with the look of the bike itself. Still iffy about the fairing. Need more riding time with it I guess.

If it rides nice, and runs well, then who can argue with that!!
                      I absolutely agree!!

It will only be important when you go to get parts for it like brake pads since they are MUCHO different for a Special than a Std on the front (where you have Special forks and therefore brakes) and such like that.
                      Yup, I figure I'm gonna hafta do a lot of comparing of parts to what's on there.

Looks great to me! Ride it like you stole it and enjoy!
                      THANKS!! And I will

Comment

Working...
                      X