Passenger footpeg extensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passenger footpeg extensions

Is anyone aware of any kits that are available that will either extend the passenger footpegs forward or outward? I have looked all over for them but all I find are for newer bikes. I have a set of soft saddle bags on my bike but when the old lady is on with me, the saddle bags are so far forward that it makes it really uncomfortable for her, not to mention her leg is causing my bags to become misshapen. I have tried to think of ways to attach something to the existing footpegs but I am worried that it will not be very safe and it will look like crap too. Another option would be to find a set of saddle bag mounts for soft bags but I have not been able to find any of those either. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks Guys!
    81 XS1100 Special

Hey there Youcan2,

Yeah, many parts are only for newer bikes OR are $$$. IF you'll look a bit closer at your bike/frame you'll see 2 frame tubes coming up from the swing arm bearing junction below the side cover. I've heard/seen of folks mounting Clip/bolt on footpegs to one of those frame rails that would position them both forward and upward from the OEM position. JAT!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Great idea TC. I just tried my highway peg clamp, which is 1", and it seemed a bit too small. Any idea what the size of that tube is?

I would still someday like to find a set of soft saddle bag mounts for her too, but I am assuming those probably have to be pretty much custom made.....
      81 XS1100 Special

Comment

The rear thinner tube is 26MM, the forward thicker tube is 34MM, according to my caliper.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks Phil for the measurements, and from my HS math, that rear one is then 0.6mm larger than 1", being 25.4mm per inch!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I think I could make the 1" clamp work on the back one, except on the right side, there is a bracket in the way and the peg would have to be clamped on very high and I don't think it looks like it would be very comfy. If my math is correct, the front one would be roughly 1.34". I guess I could try a 1.5" clamp and throw a piece of cardboard in the mix to take up the slack.
            81 XS1100 Special

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
              the forward thicker tube is 34MM, according to my caliper.
              This info is incorrect, forward tube is 29MM, darn cheapo caliper!
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I better go with a 1.25 clamp then.

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                This info is incorrect, forward tube is 29MM, darn cheapo caliper!
                81 XS1100 Special

Comment

My Brother's wife, is short, I had to raise his and bring them forward as well, put a piece of 1/4 metal from the regular peg mount.angle up the front part of the frame connecting to the swing arm, used a clamp there, drilled a hole in the 1/4 metal, brought them up and forward about 3 inches. Later 'Dog

Comment

Originally posted by yooucan2 View Post
                    I have a set of soft saddle bags on my bike but when the old lady is on with me, the saddle bags are so far forward that it makes it really uncomfortable for her, not to mention her leg is causing my bags to become misshapen. I have tried to think of ways to attach something to the existing footpegs but I am worried that it will not be very safe and it will look like crap too. Another option would be to find a set of saddle bag mounts for soft bags but I have not been able to find any of those either. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
                    Hi Bob,
                    the passenger pegs are just where they should be. You should move the bags.
                    Remove the rear signals, they stop the bags from sitting back where they should be. Use those giant holes as two of the four strongpoints to attach a luggage rack. Mount the signals on the rear of the rack and drape the bags over top.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I'd have to agree with Fred. The only reason to move the pegs would be if the current position was uncomfortable WITHOUT the bags on the bike (i.e., for really short passengers). Properly sized/mounted saddlebags won't interfere with the passenger footpegs.
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                      -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                      X