Need help with indetification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with indetification

I have just purchased a Yamaha 1100 from a guy on Craigs list.. he dosnt know exactly what it is other than an 1100 S something or other Yamaha.. I havn't picked the bick up yet but plan to next week.. anyway..the bike is missing the tank and seat and a few other things that might help in the idtification process.. im assumeing one could look up the VIN number but I dont have it yet... can someone help me identify this beast? I have picks.. but im not sure how to get thme on this post.

Bike Pics

Ok I may have figured out how to add pics.

Comment

UGH!.. maybe not

Comment

Hey!

Originally posted by clock152 View Post
        I have just purchased a Yamaha 1100 from a guy on Craigs list.. he dosnt know exactly what it is other than an 1100 S something or other Yamaha.. I havn't picked the bick up yet but plan to next week.. anyway..the bike is missing the tank and seat and a few other things that might help in the idtification process.. im assumeing one could look up the VIN number but I dont have it yet... can someone help me identify this beast? I have picks.. but im not sure how to get thme on this post.
        and welcome to the forum! Glad to have you with us. You'll be glad to be here, trust me! This is one cool site! A wealth of knowledge here. If you ever have trouble, there are plenty of knowledgable "guru's" here that will be more than willing to offer advice, as well as connections for parts. I've only been here since Jan., but love it.
        A few things to offer, that will not only help you, but everyone else...If you can, add where you're from to the post, and whenever you figure it out, what type and year bike you have, as well as any other bikes you may have / had. Most things in the XS-XJ family are commonly linked, but some things are bike specific, or year specific... so it helps us troubleshoot.
        Pics are ALWAYS great... whether it's from a ride report, dissassembly/ rebuild, problem part, or video that helps us hear the bike to help diagnose...
        We love pics! You have to use a 3rd party vendor to edit and post pics here, (due to the cost this forum would have to pay to do it themselves,) and PHOTOBUCKET is usually the one of choice, since it's free, and pretty easy.
        Also, it helps to know if this is your first bike, especially of this size. If so, a safety course is always highly recommended.
        Traffic on here has been rather slow, since this is the holiday weekend, and the weather's getting better. Took my XJ on a nice 300 mile trip yesterday myself!
        Once you get it all to come together, you'll be amazed at what a great site this is, and hopefully make many new, life-long friends here as well.
        Welcome, & ride safe!
        Regards,
        Bob
        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Thank you very much for your quick repley.. I am looking forward to rebilding this bike.. at the price I "stole" it even my wife is happy.. hahahahahahaha.. I figured out how to add the pic to my avitar.. and I will post it to Photobucket as soon as I can.. this is going to be a fun project.

Comment

Also...

If it is a "S", should be a Standard. They also made the Special and the MNS, (Midnight Special) and the XJ. A '78 would have an "E" desiganation, "F" for '79, an '80 would be "G", etc.
            Standards had squarish tanks ( with knee depressions in the sides), and overall looks. Specials had teardrop looking tanks, and a more rakish appearance. MNS were blacked out w/ gold trimming and much rarer. The XJ series came out in "82 and were "Special-like" in design, yet many differences, as in charging systems, pilot boxes, seats, etc.
            Hope this helps get ya started.
            Bob

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

As near as I can tell its about a 1980 to 1983 Yamaha XS1100.. maybe a Maxim.

Comment

One more thing...

If you click on the private message tab @ the top, look on the left where it says "edit signature", that's where you can add add'l info.

Keep us updated w/ the project, and you're welcome to send me a PM anytime.

Good luck and have fun. How much did you "steal" her for???

Mine was in great shape when I got her, except for a couple of the usual problems most of these bikes suffer from, like an engine base gasket leaking oil, and needing tranny work. I was blessed with great friends that new exactly how to fix both, and now mine is XSivly sweet!
                Take care.
                Bob

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

I believe you're right!

I would say that is an XJ1100 Maxim. That's what I have. Wheels are rotational, dual front rotors, the side covers, (if they were there) are triangular and should say "Maxim". Gas tank is a 5.1 gal. and teardrop shaped.
                  Do you have the rest of the parts?

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Sweet.. that is what I was hoping for!.. nope.. that is all there is to the bike.. it will be a long jurney to get this one up and running.

Comment

Ok....

I also see the 4 carbs are missing! Carbs can be a handful when you first start out on these old bikes, but trying to find 4 more may be your biggest challenge. There are a few here that deal w/ parting these old bikes out. Andreashweiss, Cobia, as well as other individuals here to name a few.
                      Andreas usually keeps a list on here that he has on hand under "parts for sale". You might get a detailed list going and send him a PM.
                      You might also keep your eyes peeeled on here in the "bikes for sale" listing for someone parting one out.
                      Ebay or Craig's List are other good sources.
                      Looks like you're missing quite a few parts.
                      Good luck!
                      Regards,
                      Bob

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Sweet...

I just saw where you're from!!!! Allright! Me and a couple a buddies just rode through there yesterday! Get her runnin' so we can join up sometime and go for a ride! Skiatook's not that far, some of my other buddies live in Stillwater, one lives in Ada, one lives in Kansas... glad to see Ok. just gained another XSive!

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

clock152...

I'm looking closer @ your pics...
                          Does the bike only have 1 front brake rotor? And the final drive on the rear wheel looks different. I see 4 intake boots, and what I think is 4 header pipes, but the pics are kinda dark, sorry. On the the upper frame area, behind the headlight, up by the steering head area, there should be the VIN stamping. While I may not be able to interpret properly, another one of the Guru's or Moderator's will be able to tell you exactly what it is.
                          Bob

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
                            I'm looking closer @ your pics...
                            Does the bike only have 1 front brake rotor? And the final drive on the rear wheel looks different. I see 4 intake boots, and what I think is 4 header pipes, but the pics are kinda dark, sorry. On the the upper frame area, behind the headlight, up by the steering head area, there should be the VIN stamping. While I may not be able to interpret properly, another one of the Guru's or Moderator's will be able to tell you exactly what it is.
                            Bob
                            Yeah, this is not an XS. It's an XJ1100 (made from '82-'84, IIRC). It's definitely missing the right front brake rotor. Be aware that the XJ has the linked brake system, where the brake pedal controls the rear and the left front calipers. The hand brake only controls the right front (the one that is missing). The exhaust looks like it's an aftermarket setup, as a 4-into-1. You're missing a lot of parts, and some of them might be a bit hard to find, but the resources here should be able to point you in the right direction.

We all like to watch this kind of restoration, so be sure to take pictures along the way, and keep us updated!

As for identification via VIN numbers, here is a list that goes through all of them (copied from another post somewhere else on this forum).

Serial Number & Model Identification
                            US Models:

Year
                            Model
                            Serial #
                            Color(s)

1978 XS1100E 2H7-000101 Macho Maroon
                            1979 XS1100F 2H7-020101 Magenta Red, Indigo Blue
                            1979 XS1100SF 3H3-000101 Carmine Red, Black Gold
                            1980 XS1100G 3H5-000101 Diamond Silver, New Ruby Red
                            1980 XS1100SG 3J6-000101 Black Red, New Ruby Red
                            1980 XS1100LG 4H3-000101 New Yamaha Black
                            1981 XS1100H 4R1-000101 Indigo Blue
                            1981 XS1100SH 4R0-000101 Black Blue, Cardinal Red
                            1981 XS1100LH 4W1-000001 New Yamaha Black
                            XJ1100J
                            10M-000101
                            New Yamaha Black, New Ruby Red

Non-US Models:

Year
                            Model
                            Serial #
                            Color(s)
                            Countries

XS1100 2H9-000101 Macho Maroon Europe
                            XS1100E 2H8-000101 Macho Maroon

XS1100E 2H9-100101 Macho Maroon Oceania
                            XS1100 2H9-020101 New Pearl White Europe
                            XS1100F 2H7-110101 Indigo Blue, Magenta Red Canada
                            XS1100F 2H9-110101 Magenta Red Oceania
                            XS1100SF 3H4-000101 Black Gold, Carmine Red Canada
                            XS1100G 2H9-130101 Diamond Silver, New Ruby Red Europe
                            XS1100G 3U7-000101 Diamond Silver Canada
                            XS1100G 3X1-000101 Diamond Silver Oceania
                            XS1100P 4H9-000001 White Others
                            XS1100SG 3U9-000101 Black Red, New Ruby Red Canada
                            XS1100H 3X0 New Yamaha Black Europe
                            XS1100H 3X1-003101 Black Red Oceania
                            XS1100H 4T1-000101 Indigo Blue Canada
                            XS1100LH 4W2-000001 New Yamaha Black Canada
                            XS1100RH 5N5-000101 New Yamaha Black Oceania
                            XS1100S 5K7-010101 New Yamaha Black Europe
                            XS1100SH 4T0-000101 Blue Black, Cardinal Red Canada
                            XJ1100J 11G-000101 New Yamaha Black, New Ruby Red Canada
                            XS1100 2H9-140101 New Yamaha Black Europe
                            XS1100 Police 5H4-000101 New Yamaha Black, White Oceania
                            XJ1100K 11G-010101 Sparkle Red Canada
                            XJ1100ML 11G-100101 Blue Black Canada
                            Last edited by CatatonicBug; 05-24-2009, 03:29 PM.
                            1980 XS850SG - Sold
                            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                            -H. Ford

Comment

Well, I hate to be the one too have to burst a bubble, but it's NOT an 1100. You have the "special" front forks, but the rear brake is a drum. You probably have a 650 to 900cc Yamaha from the early 80's. A Maxim, to be sure, but NOT an 1100. The VIN WILL tell you for sure.
                              Ray Matteis
                              KE6NHG
                              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                              X