have owned 3 XS1100 Yamahas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• have owned 3 XS1100 Yamahas

I bought a New one in 1980, son wrecked it, bought a great used 79 model the next year and it went 99600 miles. Was set to photograph the roll over but it just wouldn't budge another mile. Bought a good used 1980 5 years ago and just passed 70K miles . I break all the rules and never tune it up, just replace tires and plugs. These bikes are built to last. My only complaint is cruising range, about 120 miles per full tank. Here in the west that means planning a trip based on where to find gas. I'm wondering if there is an aftermarket larger fuel tank for this bike?

There ARE 6 gallon tanks out there. They were on the "Venture" model, and some of the Canadian and Europe models. Ebay has them now and then. The OTHER cure is the 750 final drive swap. Drops the RPM at cruise just like a 6th gear!
    Read through the "tech tips" and some of the other links on the top of the page. There is a LOT of good information here!
    And so you know, my first XS1100 was bought in September of 1977, serial number 000254.... I know have numbers three through six...
    I guess this IS as addiction!
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I put 2008 yamaha venture tank on mine.

Very minor mods I'll take some pics of the brackets that I fabbed up to fit up tank. With a little know how and time it was no big dea. I also heard of folks using the old venture tanks from the xs period with nearly no mods at all, but they look like crap I think. It goes from 3.5 gal or something like that with xs tank. venture tank os something like 5.3-5.6 gal. something like that. Who cares bout nit picking it right? Ran it to 200 miles no problem, don't know what it would go. Who wants to go further than 200 with out stopping take a piss anyway right? lol. Here are pics of tank on bike when I first it. I'll get some pics of mounts for you soon.

Notice here I had to fab this mount to move tank rear mount back about 2 inches because the handle bars hit tank due to it's wider stance.

xs petcock perfect gasket and bolt patern for tank.

Not sure if you can see it here but the tank is resting on engine. I took these pictures right as I was working on this part of my project and had not come up with idea for front mounts. I'll get the present pics to you though.

I hope this may have helped you with your quest. After market, there is not much or anything out there at all. The tunnel has to be so damn big to fit these bikes that options are very very slim. Now, if you are looking for same style tank as the xs tanks maybe you can find something?? I really have no idea about that. Like I mentioned about the 80's venture tanks, heard they are almost direct bolt on. I personally hate the xs tank and anything like it and the 80's venture tank looks almost like the standard so I looked and reserched nothing on tanks past the mid 90's mark.
      Good luck.
      80special w/79special motor.Never ride faster than your angel can fly!!

Comment

Working...
      X