Float question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Float question

hey guys i have a set carbs iam [78-79] rebuilding can i use the newer plastic floats?and with the older non hanging float needles?

Yup. Might have to round off the tabs with a dremel to keep them from catching on the seat. Set them to the same height as the brass floats. I've got them in mine, and I like them a lot better. Not as prone to damage as the brass variety.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

floats

hey DB thanks'2 of the brass floats the sides were caved in? also when i pulled out the pilot mix screws out there were no washer or rubber in there like the newer carbs or don't they have them?

Comment

They all have them. Look real close. I've had them stay down there along with the washer and you would swear they are not there but they are. Take a paper clip or small piece of wire and bend a slight hook in the end and go fishing. You just might catch something. Or not. POs do some strange things
        wingnut
        81 SH (Daily Ride)
        81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
        81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
        82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
        81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

BA - The 78/79's have different mixture screws than the 80/81's, and they don't have the little washer and o-ring. I replaced the brass floats in mine with plastic. Three of them I cannibalized from a set of 80/81 carbs, and one of them I bought from Mikes XS. If you replace the brass floats with plastic, you might also want to replace your fuel valves with the viton tipped 80/81 variety. If you use plastic floats with the stock needles, you'll have to bend the tabs way down to get them to work. With the taller 80/81 needles it all fits together better, and the viton tip makes for a longer lasting better sealing fuel valve. You can probably get away without dremeling the tabs this way too.
          Last edited by dbeardslee; 05-24-2009, 06:22 AM.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

OOPs sorry for the bad info. I was thinking of the Hatichi's on the 650's
            wingnut
            81 SH (Daily Ride)
            81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
            81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
            82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
            81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Hey DB,

Just looking for some clarification here for members. Jesse/81XSProject posted about the conversion of using the Viton tipped float valves on the early model carbs, but he said that the valve seats were too small and that the newer valves would stick, and so installing the float valve seats from a Virago 900 which used the screw in seats, but were designed to use the Viton tippped valves is what was necessary.

SO....are you saying that the viton tipped float valve will fit and slide and not get stuck in the early model seats?
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TC - They seem to be working fine in mine, but with the stock needles I had to make some adjustments to the tabs and I had to bend them way down. With the viton tipped needles (which are slightly taller than stock), plastic floats, and stock seats the tab is almost level with the "arms" of the floats. Haven't had a problem with them sticking. I'm likin' 'em.

Comment

Float needles

so DB your saying that i can use the newer viton 80 float needles is that hanging them on the float tab like on the 80-81's i have a new set that came with a parts bike
                  once again thanks have a good weekend just came from a ride up to the big lake nice ride bugs bugs couldn't see out the wind shield by the time i got back

Comment

Brokenarrow - what I'm saying is that's the way I have mine setup and it seems to be working ok. I did put the clips over the tabs prior to installing the floats and then just set the whole assembly in place and put the pin in.

I put the viton tipped needles in 'cause I got tired of changing the stock needles every time I turned around. I figured they would outlast the all-metal variety and provide a more positive seal, and like I said, I haven't had a problem.

I have also learned through painful experience not to ignore TC's suggestions, so if you want to err on the side of safety, get some virago 900 seats and use them with the viton needles. I'm not about to give up the viton needles, but TC's got me thinking about acquiring a set of virago seats just to make sure .

Comment

Floats

DB last nite i tried the viton's and it was a bit tight and when turning carbs up right would stick once in awhile i to like the viton tips for a a better seal for now I'll use the old ones with out bending to much of the float tab set height at
                      23.5 to 24mm with out hanging up because of the shorter needles. what year are those 900 virago seats from

Comment

BA - These be the ones. If I remember correctly Jesse stated in one thread that the the diameter of the 'hole' in the stock seats is the same as the diameter of push in 80/81 seats. I think his issue was related to how far he had to bend the float tabs. By using the XV920 seats which sit slightly lower than the stockers, he was able to get less bend on the tabs. For some reason on mine with plastic floats the tabs are almost straight. I also used the clips as they were meant to be used, and I made sure I alowed enough movement of the float so that it would dissengage the needle if the fuel level drops too low. It's not immediately apparent when you're looking at an upside down carb, but the weight of the float itself will pull the needle away from the seat.

I think I'm going to order a set of XV920 seats, not so much because I think I need them, but because I like the screen arrangement - and besides, you can never have too many parts . Unfortunately I've only been able to find them with both the needles and the seats for $8.68 per set. I'm thinking the seats will last longer with the viton tips as the 'rubber' shouldn't wear the brass like metal to metal contact would. When the viton gets deformed I'll just pop another set of needles in and leave the seats alone.

Jesse also did some tests with fuel levels with his machine running, and found no difference in fuel level based on float height between brass and plastic floats, so you're float height should be set the same as it was with the brass. Of course if you had collapsed brass floats they weren't displacing as much gas as they should have which should mean a slightly higher float setting for the plastics. Of course if 'if's' and 'buts' where candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry christmas .
                        Last edited by dbeardslee; 05-25-2009, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Floats

DB thanks for the info you guys out there have a lot of knowledge on these 11's i have learned a lot in the past year that i have been messing with them even if its doing it 2-3 times practice makes perrrfict!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X