Synched Carbs Hardly Running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synched Carbs Hardly Running

I made a Texas Bill vacuum gauge and synced the carbs. Was idling fine, not perfect, but fine. No popping which seemed good to me. The vacuum gauge worked great. I used a four inch pipe and a removable plug. Thanks Bill.

So I plug all the ports and hook the vacuum line up and it just runs bad. Backfiring and seeming to run on half the cylinders.

Now I rode the bike from the bench sync after cleaning the carbs. It popped like crazy at too high an idle and would seem to go from running strong on all four to losing power on two intermittently. No rhyme or reason, it would simply cut in and out. Great power when all four were pulling.

It starts right up cold, but really doesn't want to start again after it sits for about 20 minutes. It will start right up again after it sits for about an hour.

Coils? Pick up wires? Vacuum problem?
    Bothell, WA
    1980 XS1100SG

I couldn't figure out how to edit that post so I'm replying to myself!

Bike fired right up cold. Seems to only be firing on numbers 3 and 4. Idled right down, rough but no popping or sputtering.
    Bothell, WA
    1980 XS1100SG

Comment

try this

Hey Great Nw,,,, pull the plugs and check first, spray some starting fluid around the carb inlet rubbers when running and see if any vacuum leaks, make sure the vacuum plugs are on tight, only one loose will cause problems, if no go to all this, pull off the left cover and pull, feel the pickup wires for stretching when running. Since it ran ok before I am guessing a vacuum problem, not a pickup wire problem but thats my 2cents. Let us know, Mike in S.Diego
      mike
      1982 xj1100 maxim
      1981 venture bagger
      1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
      1959 wife

Comment

I was thinking about it, went out and checked. How about a kinked fuel line!!!!

Still not right, but I'll work on it tomorrow.

Sorry for the bad post.
        Bothell, WA
        1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Not a bad post ,thats what the forum is for.To enable us to think.It s funny though I was reading through the thread and when I read the running on three and four I thought kinked fuel line.That exact problem has bit me a couple times.But it is the easiest thing to fix.
          I installed extra long fuel lines and run my left petcock to right side tee and vice versa.It prevents kinks and I can lift the tank and place a 2/4 under the back of it to sync and adjust carbs without disconnecting the lines.
          You may need to adjust your pilot screws and I always recheck my sync when
          I have everything else right.Probably redudndant but I get a little XSive sometimes.
          Rick
          80 SG XS1100
          14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

hijack, sorry

hey tarzan, I have my fuel lines ran the same as you, (right side petcock to left carbs and vice versa) I have the extra long fuel lines as well, mine lay on top of the motor, about on top of the starter cover. Have you had any heat related problems with your line from this or are your lines short enough that they don't touch?
            1980 XS11SG
            Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
            Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
            ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

Yea Bigdick,
              I have my lines up off the motor.I routed the extra line on top of the bank of carbs and then down to the tee.So I have had no vapor lock or heat problems with the fuel.
              HTH. Rick
              80 SG XS1100
              14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

If you want some help GNW, I'm here in Lake Stevens. I have a motion pro mercury sync tool that could help along with 17 years experience of owning my XS11

First bike was an: 1978 XS1100
                Second bike is an FJR1300.
                Now I'm restoring a '79 XS1100.

Comment

Hi Rush,

That would be great. I'll be riding up to Marysville on the 3rd. I need a state patrol inspection for the title. It'd be great to at least grab a cup of coffee and say hello.

I'll pm you my phone number.
                  Bothell, WA
                  1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Working...
                  X