Resistance is futile...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resistance is futile...

So I was tracking down a gremlin last night, and I found something that gave me a cause for a pause. When I check the resistance to the coils at the TCI connection, I get a reading of 2.8 ohms. I've got the old style Mikes XS coils, which are supposed to be 3 ohm coils, so I don't know why I'm getting a lower reading. Is that too low for our TCI's, or is it in an acceptable range? I found the problem I was looking for (pickup coil wires), and the coils aren't giving me any trouble - I'm just concerned about the TCI and whether or not 2.8 ohms will do damage.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

When you put the test leads together do you get Zero?
    Richard

Comment

When you put the test leads together do you get Zero?
      On what? If you're asking me if my multimeter works, it does.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Ohm meters are actually a voltmeter that measures voltage across a shunt. On quality DMMs, you can pull them apart and see the aluminum wire with a little scallop ground in it. They are highly inaccurate, and if you are seeing 2.8 ohms, I wouldn't worry about it. Next week with the same emter on the same wires you'll see 3.5

The only true way to get accurate ohms readings is on a loaded circuit using voltage and amperage to calculate it out.
        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

It just hit me what RP was asking. It's a digital multimeter that zeros itself, and yes if you put the leads together it's properly calibrated. I'll look at it again and see if I get different readings in a week or so. Just don't want to fry a TCI. I'd still like to know if 2.8 ohms can cause damage, or is that within an acceptable service limit? Who knows, I may have actually gotten a valid reading - even a broken clock is right twice a day .

Comment

Hey DB,

IIRC I got about the same reading on my DVM, but I think I also saw the same or similar value from my OEM's that were still working at the time I removed/replaced them with the MikesXS ones. I have ridden an LDR trip from here to Pa, and back, etc. No problems, I'm pretty sure that the 2.8 ohms is enough load/resistance for the TCI. It's only when you try to run those CDI type coils at 0.7 ohms that the TCI frying is guaranteed.
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks, TC. That's what I was looking for.

Comment

Working...
              X