Seat Cover questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat Cover questions

Anyone know if you get a seat cover off ebay for a standard seat, do you still use the metal strip down each side of the seat or do you remove that?

My seat pan is rusty and the left side is starting to tear. If I can remove the metal strip on each side of the seat and put a new cover on and not reuse that, I think I'll be ok w/ the rusty pan for now.
    '80 XS 1100 Standard

I believe that strip is just cosmetic. The color of it usually adds to the look of the bike. However, I don't believe it serves any functional purpose. If you don't want it on there, just take it off.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by andysutt View Post
      - - - My seat pan is rusty and the left side is starting to tear. If I can remove the metal strip on each side of the seat and put a new cover on and not reuse that, I think I'll be ok w/ the rusty pan for now.
      Hi Andy,
      the chrome strip is a cosmetic thing, junk it if you want.
      You are taking the cover off and if the foam seems stuck down it's only held to the pan by rust so take it off too.
      Now if it's only surface rust on the pan you can de-rust & re-paint it. Use a rotary wire brush to clean the rust off then spray the pan with etching primer and black rockerguard paint out of rattle cans. If the pan is rusted away like iron lace it's easier to find a pan that's in better shape than it is to fix yours.
      But seat pans can be hard to find. You can fix the laciest of rusted pans by putting 3 layers of fiberglass on the top side of it.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Chrome huh? lol mine's black I guess it's been painted before as well.

The seat pan is getting holy near the edges, so I may have to fiberglass it, I just hope I dont screw it up to much. lol
        '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

Originally posted by andysutt View Post
          - - - The seat pan is getting holy near the edges, so I may have to fiberglass it, I just hope I dont screw it up to much. lol
          Hi Andy,
          if the pan's edges are getting rust-holey, most likely the spiky things that hold the cover on are mostly gone too?
          The Q&D way to hold the cover onto a toothless pan is with pop rivets.
          Use the aluminum ones with big heads. If anyone sneers at that, tell 'em you got the idea from pictures of Viking longships.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

i just did mine with the standard seat cover from ebay two nights ago. there are 2 bolts in each one and a post for a rivet. i was going to see what it looked like without the side parts but i forgot and went ahead and installed them. the one mistake was i used a little spray adhesive and it was harder to reposition as i put the cover on... oh well it looks good though. i just bent the hooks straight out and stretched the leather over it.
            it looks great for a $40 seat cover. as soon as the wife gets back in town with both our camera's i can post a pic of it.
            " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
            xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
            8mm msd wires
            tkat fork brace...
            Fox shocks...
            mikes650 front fender
            led's gallore...
            renthal bars
            gold valve emulators
            vmax tensioner
            Rifle fairing

Comment

Yup, its rusty where it attaches also.

I had thought about welding a thin piece of steel to the pan and then using the black/chrome strip to drill holes in and rivet it back on that way. Then repaint it black
              '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

Seat cover rivets

Little late to reply but I just replaced my seat cover this winter. I had to use rivets as most of the points were to rusty to re-bend anymore, and broke off. I don't know the exact size of the rivets but if you find the size that will just fit through the triangle shaped holes on an angle, from the underside of the pan, and are long enough to accept a small washer on the under side of the seat pan, they will be large enough not to pull through when squashed. If this makes any sense, I was able to rivet the cover down without seeing the rivets from the outside of the seat.
                1981 XS1100 Special
                Saddlemen Seat
                MAC 4 into 2 Turnouts

Comment

Working...
                X