Electrical Gremlins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Gremlins

Yesterday we had a beautifull day here in Kansas City. Went to jump on the midnight special and head off to work and it would not start. Huge backfire once was all I got for my efforts. The bike has run great and I have ridden it almost daily for the last couple weeks. I looked at the very bald tire on the XJ, noticed a cord showing, hung my head in shame and got in the car. Today I tried again, same results. I pulled one of the spark plugs and saw that I was only getting occasional spark. I have company flying into town today so I will not get to mess with it until Tuesday . I know that I will need to check all of the connections, and test the TCI and coils. I am mainly just venting my frustrations. You all have a nice memorial weekend.
    Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
    '82 XJ1100
    '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

If the battery doesnt have at least 10.4 volts ,IIRC,it will have starting issues.
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

That sucks! Nice weather, AND a long weekend, and you can't take advantage of either one! I'm sure you'll get it figured out quickly. Good luck.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

My guess is you know about or have already fixed the pickup wires.If so check voltage to coils and like you said the tci.
        1980 special (Phyllis)
        1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Hey, Harry...

Yesterday I read your post about the cam tensioner situation you had recently. Which bike was it on, the XJ or the Special that's now acting up?
          If it was the XJ, sorry, just disregard...
          Bob
          '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
          "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

It was on the same bike. But it did start and run reliably for a day and a half after the cam chain got loose.
            Harry

'79 Standard
            '82 XJ1100
            '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

I cleaned all of the connectors that I saw and applied di-electric grease. She fired right up. Rode most of the day today with no problems. Thanks for all of the replies.
              Harry

'79 Standard
              '82 XJ1100
              '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
              X