Weird Idle Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Idle Problem

Hey folks hope everyone has been doing great.Haven't around much world has me stepping lol. Anywho

Bike is 1980xs 1100.

Changed spark plugs,oil.went made sure all lights are working.and bike is ready to ride this season.So i fired it up the other day went down the road ran ok but had some mild power loss issues at speed (down shift from 4th to 2cnd to regain power) issue is still there.So today i go out fire the bike up before i ride off i notice if i turn my handle bars to the right my idle goes up to 4k if i turn the bars to the left bike dies.Holding the bike straight and leaning it to the left and right does change anything.Turning the bars DOES NOT move the "butterfly" for that matter nothing moves when you turn the bars except what is supposed to.Does turning the bars in any postion weather straight up or leaned all the way to the left or right as long as the bar is straight its fine.
    Never messed with the throttle cable but guessing its not that since the "butterfly" doesn't move when i turn the bars.
    Have spark in all 4 cylinders.
    The plug in number 1 cylinder was a bit black but nothing major.
    Thinking maybe ignition but unsure.

Looking for some input before i go messing around.Don't know a whole lot about bikes.

Thanks for any input.

Ride Safe.
    Nate
    1980 XS1100g

You may not have done anything with it, but it still sounds like your throttle cable routing is an issue. Take the tank off so you can get a good look.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Talbot View Post
      You may not have done anything with it, but it still sounds like your throttle cable routing is an issue. Take the tank off so you can get a good look.
      Even tho nothing is moving at the carb when the bar is turned? still the cable?
      1980 XS1100g

Comment

Or you could try removing the right grip and let the cable go slack, then turn the bars. See if that changes anything.

Just a thought, but could there be a coil issue here? I've never messed with coils, so it's not my expertise. Doesn't seem like it would cause an INCREASE in rpms if the coils had a bad connection though...

It really does sound like a throttle cable issue, but there are stranger things...
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Played with the throttle cable and that issue is no longer.But still have i don't know how to explain it but power loss and motor sounds weird.Got down shift a gear or two to regain power but that doesn't work all the time either don't know what the issue is there can't find any vacuum leaks.
          1980 XS1100g

Comment

Sounds like it could be a pick up coil wire issue.

Comment

MY turn, MY turn!!
              Take the headlight out and look for the three wire connector on the ignition switch. Check to see if you had one wire "heat up", you will see the white plastic connector melted or discolored. Second place to look while in there is the Red/White wires that run to the right control. They are for the kill switch. If you have one side "not quite" connected, when you turn the bars, you pull on the wire and kill the engine.
              Next guess, please....
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hey there Nate,

You're in PA right, how long have you been storing the bike? Did you keep the old gas in the tank? Did you put in any stabilizer? Have you pulled the plugs to see how they look? You can get a bad one out of the box!

Drain OLD gas, without stabilizer, it loosed 1 octane point a month in storage, if it was regular, starting at 87, IIRC, once it gets below 84 or 82, it won't run! New fuel, AND ADD SEAFOAM to the tank. It might be just dirty carbs, but it could be other electrical problems!?
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                  Hey there Nate,

You're in PA right, how long have you been storing the bike? Did you keep the old gas in the tank? Did you put in any stabilizer? Have you pulled the plugs to see how they look? You can get a bad one out of the box!

Drain OLD gas, without stabilizer, it loosed 1 octane point a month in storage, if it was regular, starting at 87, IIRC, once it gets below 84 or 82, it won't run! New fuel, AND ADD SEAFOAM to the tank. It might be just dirty carbs, but it could be other electrical problems!?
                  T.C.
                  Yes in PA.Rode bike last summer only storage was over this past winter.Topped the tank and put seafoam in the tank before i parked it.Started twice a week left it run for 15 min to 30 min topping tank as needed and rode on most of the nice days we had during winter.Yes pulled all the plugs they all look fine.Had the power loss was off and on last season.Maybe dirty carbs had those rebuilt last winter didn't think they would dirty that bad in a season but guess they could.And yes i would like to lean towards electrical but don't know to start.Like DiverRay said ima pull head light tomorrow and have a look see there.I have good spark on all 4 cylinders.I did notice some "wet" oil on the front of the motor looks like some kind of plug with some kind of adjustment.
                  1980 XS1100g

Comment

Hey Nate sounds like maybe a compression test is in order.Also when was the last time you synced the carbs? Terry
                    1980 special (Phyllis)
                    1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Based purely on the thought it is dependent on turning the handlebars and other wise it runs fine, I am with DiverRay, sounds like an electrical issue in the headlight bucket area. ALOT of wires go in and out of there and turning the handlebars causes them to move and rub on the bucket and internals as well as the trees in places. Thats my best guess.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Pulled the head light there were some rubs in some of the wires threw the insulation fixed those.No more idle issue.

Still have loss of power and now noticing a "popping" sound when it cuts power.

So time for the dreaded carb clean/rebuild.

Thanks for all the awesome input

You guys rock.

Nate

P.S. Beer and food provided if you come clean/synch them lol
                        1980 XS1100g

Comment

Working...
                        X