Electrical problems - please say it's the battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical problems - please say it's the battery

I am having lighting issues and starting issues. The headlight is super dim at idle, gets mildly brighter as the RPM goes up (but its dim still), but flashes with the turn signal and/or dims with the brake lights. I'm now also having a cold start problem. It cranks slowly and takes awhile to fire (I'm guessing the ignition system is having problems with low vottage).

My battery looks like an older China made cheapie. When I checked the fluid level during the spring tune up the level was extremely low and the plates were exposed. I added distilled water and brought it up to proper levels before giving it a good charge (this was about a week ago). It wouldn't stay charged at the 2 amp rate. Due to other projects, I didn't replace the battery figuring it was still starting the bike at least.

I don't have a volt meter where I'm at. I'm thinking my battery is past due for replacement and it's most likely shot but I don't know for sure. I'll will probably get a new battery tomorrow but I'm stressing that I could have issues somewhere with the wiring or charging system. Could a bad battery cause my problems or is it most likely problems in the wiring/charging system someplace?

As usual, I appreciate any help.

Thanks!
    1980 XS1100 Standard "Touring"
    Fairing, Trunk, and Bags
    850 FD
    Fork Brace
    Progressive Front Springs
    Engine Guards w/Foot Pegs
    Oil Cooler
    Throttle Lock
    Uni Air Filter in Airbox

2009 Suzuki Bandit 1250S ABS

The battery certainly won't help, if it's bad, but the symptoms you are describing are usually related to a bad ground.

If the system can't ground through the normal channels it will try and go any way it can.

Make sure the engine ground strap is on, and that all the ground wires in your headlight are clean and connected. There are a few grounding points in the wiring diagram.
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

That wasn't the answer I was wishing for . I guess I will have a project for tomorrow night. Based on the condition/unknown history of the battery I think I'll put a new one in and then attack the ground points.
      Fairing, Trunk, and Bags
      850 FD
      Fork Brace
      Oil Cooler
      Throttle Lock
      Uni Air Filter in Airbox

Comment

Once the plates dry out they are toast.
        You should replace it, but check for overcharging.
        XS1100SF
        XS1100F

Comment

You most likely need a new battery. If it's delivered as they are up here it will come dry with the fluid in a container packed with the battery. If that's the case follow the instructions carefully and pay close attention to the charging instructions.
          Next is to test the voltage regulator to confirm that the system is not over charging.
          Next is check all grounds and clean all wiring connectors.
          Rob
          KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
          1978 XS500E
          1979 XS1100F Restored
          1980 XS1100 SG
          1981 Suzuki GS1100
          1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I would reverse the oder of that, clean everything first. Then check regulator for proper charging, then install a new battery. Hate to damage a new battery on a faulty system.

Comment

PHP Code:
              That wasn't the answer I was wishing for 

So... you weren't looking for the one that will save you time and money??

Before replacing the battery, if you look on your bike at the middle drive on the motor (The thing your driveline attaches to). On the back 6mm allen bolt, there is a metal woven strap that goes to the frame. Take a bit of sandpaper to the end that goes to the frame... probably rusty. Reinstall the screw and see if that helped.

Another spot that could mess with the charging is on the voltage regulator/rectifier unit. It's the @ 3" square metal thing with cooling fins under your tank. The ground there could get bad also... take the bolt loose, clean the connection and reinstall.

Unless you just wanted to start with the more expensive options and go backwards... I'm not saying your battery isn't bad, but there are some pretty simple things to check first.

Tod
              Last edited by trbig; 05-18-2009, 05:33 AM.
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I think you lads are over looking the fact that the battery is described as old and dry ... sort of like me :-) In my opinion a new battery is needed but run the tests on the battery that is currently in the bike.
                Rob
                KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                1978 XS500E
                1979 XS1100F Restored
                1980 XS1100 SG
                1981 Suzuki GS1100
                1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Absolutely, Rob, a new battery is in order. Finding the cause of the dried-out battery is a good idea before installing the new one. Of course, it could just be a very old battery. I just wanted to be sure he didn't trash the new one running tests. I do believe we're talking about the same thing. Must be the Aries thing

Oh, and i'm no lad in fact I'm older and drier than you, if only by a year!

Comment

FWIW, when I started prepping my bike a month or two ago, the battery fluid was WAY low, maybe an inch to an inch and a half from the bottom. I assumed the thing was toast but filled it up with distilled water, put it on the charger, and ran the bike for a while. Now it acts fine, no problems. Maybe I got lucky?
                    1980 XS11SG
                    Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
                    Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
                    ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

I think you lads are over looking the fact that the battery is described as old and dry
                      WAS dry. Again.. not saying that the battery isn't bad, but a bad ground would keep the battery from charging very well. I'm just suggesting that people start with the easiest cheapest things first instead of just assuming expensive bad things.

Normally, a bad battery won't hold enough cranking amps so that when you try to crank the motor, it turns one or two revs and stops. This one sounds like it's still cranking.. but it's slow. Also, there's charging problems AFTER it's running.. which shouldn't be involving the battery really.

Tod
                      Last edited by trbig; 05-18-2009, 07:41 AM.
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Aslo, even if the battery is bad, it won't cause all the problems that he was asking about.

A completely wonky batery won't make the headlight flash with the signals etc.

If once the other issues are fixed, it still turns over slowly, then I would change the battery.

I've run lots of batteries dry, or variable levels of dry, never had that kill the battery. Now freezing, that's a whole other story. I guess if you don't use distilled water, and you run the battery dry a few times you would get lots of calcium/iron in there...
                        Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                        '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

I'm finally off work and going out to check the grounds. I was thinking about it and realized I might have pulled something loose when I was juggling the handlebars around when I did the steering head bearings.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
                          Fairing, Trunk, and Bags
                          850 FD
                          Fork Brace
                          Oil Cooler
                          Throttle Lock
                          Uni Air Filter in Airbox

Comment

I fitted a Harley style glass matt battery in my XS1100. It never goes dead and has plenty of cranking power. A second choice as used in my Seca Turbo is a Sears Die hard. They are really good batteries and your local K-mart will sell them.
                            "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

I had bought a new battery today at Napa for $54 (they are on sale right now, good timing). I did not put it in right away. I first checked the voltages. It was 12 something at idle, maxed at 14.7 at 2800+ rpm. I then cleaned the ground points and that helped a lot with the lights, but the lights were still dimmer at idle than expected. I spent a lot of time poking around with the volt meter looking for bad connectors but could find any. I finally decided to toss the new battery in to see what it would do. That finally got the lights normal. Nice bright headlight with some dimming at idle (I'd consider it a normal amount comparing to other newer bikes I've riden). Starts a lot easier too. So my problem was two fold. Bad grounds and a bad battery.

I did find me a mechanic from back in the day that I will definately bring my bike to if I ever decide to have a mechanic do something. While calling around town trying to locate batteries I called a one guy shop not expecting much. I asked him if he had a battery from my 1980 XS1100. His immediate reply, "Those take the same battery as the Gold Wings, right?" Keep in mind my XS1100 is the only one in the whole area still on the road.
                              Fairing, Trunk, and Bags
                              850 FD
                              Fork Brace
                              Oil Cooler
                              Throttle Lock
                              Uni Air Filter in Airbox

Comment

Working...