No JB Weld Carb Float Post Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No JB Weld Carb Float Post Rebuild

Had a junk set of carb bodies. Thought I'd experiment with the one with the broken post.

Took a diamond mini-cutting disc ($4.00@HarborFreight) and ground the broken end flat, and then cut a slot in the top of the float post stump.

I drilled a small hole along the bottom of the slot.

Next I cut a small strip of copper from some scrap copper sheet I had with my nibblers.

Ground the copper strip to match the width of the post stump. Took a drill bit that was the size of the float pin and pushed it through the hole on the good post. I used the bit to scratch a line on the copper strip. Next I drilled the hole a little above the line in the center of the strip. Used vise-grips to bend an offset in the strip. Pushed a float pin through the good post and then ground the base of the strip until the hole lined up with the float pin. Thanks John for letting me borrow your float, float pin, and drill bit and advice on JB Weld

A little too much offset. Take a little out and grind a little more off the base.

Next I used a sanding sponge and nibblers cut off the top and smooth it out.

Oops rounded it off a little too much. Looks like it'll allow the float to drop too much.

Next one will be made of brass.
    I will try to get the brass hot enough to suck solder in the hole at the base of the slot and on top of the slot.
    Nubee

Well done, Nubee! If soldering doesn't work, maybe you could drill an even smaller hole the other way through the post and the copper tab, and pin it together with a small screw.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Looks good Craig! It should work just fine when you get it fine tuned.

Comment

Working...
      X