electrical problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electrical problems

I'm thinking about buying a "81 XS 1100 special from a friend that has sat for 4 years - cranks strong but won't start. What are the known electrical
    problems I need to look for?

It would be very tough to guess from that information IMHO, but if you look in the FAQ section there is detailed description for what to look for in a neglected XS that may be of help.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

No reason not to check spark real quick.But if it sat for four years I'd be looking at gas and carbs.I'd be surprised (if it cranks ok )that you have electrical problems.If it has no spark or if it does post it you will get plenty of help. Terry
      1980 special (Phyllis)
      1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

That sounds exactly like just about every XS that has sat for over a year. The carbs easily get gummed up and the flow of fuel stops. Start with the fuel system. If you haven't done it already, dump out all the old fuel and get new fuel in there. Might want to replace the fuel lines while you're at it too. Inline fuel filters are a common addition as well. A carb cleaning will definitely be a required step before riding; no question about that. Get new spark plugs, just to be safe, and check and clean ALL the ground connections.

Welcome to the forum, and don't let that bike get away! You'll end up kicking yourself later if you do! Once you get it home, download the manual (link in my signature) and come back here and ask any questions you have. Lots of reading on this site, and TONS of knowledge available.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Electrical things i would check after everything else is the pick up wires as they go can be bad,battery level,and the fuse box as glass fuses are old school.Blade fuses are everywhere.
          1980 XS1100 SG
          Inline fuel filters
          New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
          160 mph speedometer mod
          Kerker Exhaust
          xschop K & N air filter setup
          Dynojet Recalibration kit
          1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
          1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Working...
          X