Mounted New Tires Yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounted New Tires Yesterday

Picked up a set of Bridgestone S11's from Dennis Kirk, 130/90/17 rear and 110/90/19 front for $129.98 delivered.
    Removal of the rear was a bit challenging but completed it with a ratchet strap from frame to swingarm to raise it above the exhaust to remove the axle.

A few years ago I had bought the harborfreight tire changer with motorcycle option for $60 when it was on sale. R&R with balancing took right at 2 hours along with cleaning up the rims. Tires were the 1980 original but came off without any problems.

Since it's raining today, I may just tackle those pesky fork seals!
    Richard

Tires are a PITA to change but I hate the $50 charge the dealer wants to do it.
    How do you like the motorcycle attachment.I have seen a lot of guys say they
    use the changer without it because they dont like it?So they recommend not getting the attachment.I'm considering buying the changer myself so just curious.
    Have fun with the fork seals
    Rick
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Originally posted by rpgoerlich View Post
      Picked up a set of Bridgestone S11's from Dennis Kirk, 130/90/17 rear and 110/90/19 front for $129.98 delivered.
      Removal of the rear was a bit challenging but completed it with a ratchet strap from frame to swingarm to raise it above the exhaust to remove the axle.

A few years ago I had bought the harborfreight tire changer with motorcycle option for $60 when it was on sale. R&R with balancing took right at 2 hours along with cleaning up the rims. Tires were the 1980 original but came off without any problems.

Since it's raining today, I may just tackle those pesky fork seals!
      I want to install my own tires this afternoon as well because shops around here will not mount tires you do not buy from them at any price and my friend at the garage is away. How much trouble will this prove to be? like is it a 6 or 12 pack job?
      Rob
      KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
      1978 XS500E
      1979 XS1100F Restored
      1980 XS1100 SG
      1981 Suzuki GS1100
      1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

A 12-pack, 8 beers for the rear and 4 for the front

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
          A 12-pack, 8 beers for the rear and 4 for the front
          I kind of figured the rear would be the Bast**d of the pair and given that I can't put the wheels on the bike until they are balanced, I think I will save my knuckles and wait for the lad at the garage to do it for me.
          Rob
          KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
          1978 XS500E
          1979 XS1100F Restored
          1980 XS1100 SG
          1981 Suzuki GS1100
          1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

The first couple tires I did on this changer wore me out...as I didn't have it mounted to the floor. I've since mounted it to a piece of ΒΌ" steel plate I picked up at work on a demo job. This way I can move it around and it's stable with me standing on it while removing/mounting the tire. The ones yesterday were a breeze as I had already marked for a 19" and a 17" wheel size for the wheel clamps.

Hardest part was getting the rear tire off. Then Breaking the bead.

Just for grins yesterday I called a Cycle shop close by and asked what he'd charge per tire off the bike, $40ea. So I justifed it to the wife yesterday(she just spotted it after 2 years ) in that I've changed out 8 tires on it and it's more than paid for itself with the $60 price tag.

Balancing the tire is a no brainer as well. I had picked up a box of wheel weights some time ago. I use the center pole as an axle stretched out of one of the arms with the wheel on it for balancing.

One thing I am going to do is mount some heavy duty rubber on the clamps so they don't marr the wheel. Overall it works good. I dont see how you could change a motorcycle tire on the the standard changer without tearing it up trying to hold it there. I also picked up a set of 9" motion pro tire tools I use to get the tire started on/off with. They really make it easy to get the tire tool in there and started without tearing up the wheel.
            Richard

Comment

Working...
            X