finally new dyna coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finally new dyna coils

I finally got my new dyna coils. It has been a week since I got my new coils for my bike , It's a 80 xs 1100 SG. I followed the instalation found in another part of the forum.worked out perfect.bike now runs like a dream.The idle is so much better,starts very easy hot or cold.was always hard to start before. Bike has much better throttle response.Aceleration has also dramaticly improved over what it used to be. Over all I would say it's the best investment and improvement I could have made.Anyone who's thinking about the switch over should see marked performance improvement hence nothing else is wrong with the bike.Only other things I've done to my bike are , carbs cleaned and cynced, valves adjusted plugs w/wider gap 035'' and new uni air filter. my bike has over 25k on it. p.s. thanks to everyone who has contributed to this web cite. their always seems to be someone with helpfull insight and information to pass on to the rest of us. RIDE SAFE
    when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
    80 sg (old faithfull)

good to hear - i've been thinking about the upgrade on my 79 special.

Comment

Hi beechfront.

Didn't know you were so close. maybe we get together sometime.the dyna coils would be worth it. Iknow were some 1100s are here locally if you need parts. heres my home # if you want to call me 712-256-6034
      when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
      80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

I'm glad you found the same increase in power that I did, a kick in the pants eh? I hope the tech tip helped.
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Wow, all these potential upgrades (coils, shocks, fork springs, exhaust, tires, seat), if only my wallet would support them all! My bike runs good now, could you say if there is much of a difference between a seemingly good stock coil and a dyna coil?
          Robert
          79 SF

Comment

robert.

Yes there is a difference between the stock coils and the dyna's .Stock coils produce only about 15k the dyna's are around 35k big differnce better fuel burn in cylinders.

graybird78
            80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

coils

Where can I get the coils at?? You have me sold.

Comment

Re: robert.

Originally posted by graybird78
                Yes there is a difference between the stock coils and the dyna's .Stock coils produce only about 15k the dyna's are around 35k big differnce better fuel burn in cylinders.
                I'm not sure I buy that higher resistance/bigger spark means better performance.

If the original coils are giving spark, isn't the fuel just as burned as if it was ignited with a bigger spark>
                79 XS1100SF

Comment

Nope
                  Garry
                  '79 SF "Battle Cat"
                  outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

same principle as race cars the hotter the spark and plugs the better the preformance.. or so I have seen in Cars
                    wpc57

'81LH Midnight Special "Margret"

I ain't as good as I once was..but I am as good once as I ever was.... (Toby Keith)

Comment

With the new dynas installed, is there a diff be tween 1 &4 and 2& 3? Or rather how do you kno the difference for which goes to which plug? (wire not coil)
                      L. G.
                      1979 XS1100SF
                      Exodia, "The Forbidden One"
                      1988 CBR600F Hurricane
                      Tempest- died Aug. 10, 2005
                      198x XS850
                      -no name yet-

Comment

The coil that goes to 1-4 is triggered by 1 pulse coil on the crankshaft. The other coil (2-3) is fired by another pulse coil that is 180 deg opposite the 1st pulse coil (on the crankshaft). Yes each plug fires each crank revolution, one more than needed, but it works and is less complicated than trying to have it fire every other revolution as is needed for a 4 cycle engine. A lot of discussion has gone before about the extra spark at the 'exhaust to intake' part of the cycle, follow that thread if you want...my bike works fine .

The higher voltage (hotter, stronger spark) is burning more of the fuel in the fuel/air mixture. The result would be more power and/or higher mileage.

Whatever the reason, I can feel the difference in the seat of my pants when riding and that's what counts for me.
                        Pat Kelly
                        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Ditto! (on the seat of the pants part) Garry
                          Garry
                          '79 SF "Battle Cat"
                          outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

Working...
                          X