new here with a '80 XS1100 special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new here with a '80 XS1100 special

I just got this bike and it had a hole in the gas tank. P.O. had rebuilt and re jetted carbs for K&N filters. I fixed the tank nad now the #2 carb drips fuel. I read a post that says to change the O-rings in the carb. Does anyone know if this is a good fix? Is there somewhere else that I should start?
    Last edited by theflyingtaz; 05-15-2009, 05:17 PM. Reason: typo
    NO Longer ACTIVE. DO NOT SEND ANY PM's or Emails, will not answer!

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have one of two (or both) problems. Either there is junk in the needle valve in Carb 2, or you have a sticky float. Either way, you'll need to take the carbs off and open it up. While you're at it, I suggest you go through all 4 of them and clean them VERY thoroughly. Even if they look like they don't need it, they probably do. Take all the jets out, and clean them as well as the ports they come out of. Pay special attention to the one that's built into the actual float bowl. On second thought, pay special attention to every little port and orifice in them. It's amazing how small the piece of dirt can be and still mess something up. And you don't want to have to take them back off again just because you missed some.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Hey Taz,

Okay, you said the PO had the carbs rebuilt and jetted for K&N filters? By whom? If they were rebuilt properly, then the O-ring under the float valve seat. But you also cleaned/repaired the gas tank. There can be lots of fine crud/rust and stuff that can flow from the tank down the fuel lines and into the nice clean carbs, getting between the float valve and seat causing leaks. SO...inline fuel filters is an important part to add to prevent future problems. But also, did you try tapping on the carbs with a rubber hammer or screwdriver handle? When the carbs are off the bike, and you empty them of fuel, the floats can hang too far down, and stick when they are filling back up, and so not float, and not seal the float valve!?
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks guys I'll take them off and clean them and see what happens. The tank was not on after the P.O. rebuilt the carbs so I don't think anything got in there but I should check anyway. I think that the float is just stuck. I was hoping for an easy fix. I got this bike to ride while I finish the restoration of my other one. I think I like this one better so I might just keep it.

Comment

We had the same problem with my husband's bike. We took those darn carbs apart 4 times and within a day or two the #2 would still leak or flood. We did learn to test the carbs for leaks/floods prior to reinstalling them on the bike. We found that our "thorough" cleaning wasn't good enough AND that our #2 float had a small hole in it and it took a bit of time before the float would fill with gas and then be a sinker instead of a floater.

Good luck with your carbs........ it is a great bike you will definately want to make it a keeper!
          1979 XS1100 Special - since 2008
          1977 XS750 Special - since 1985

Comment

Originally posted by theflyingtaz View Post
            I think I like this one better so I might just keep it.
            Yup, once you ride it, you'll never be the same.
            My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

Comment

So if I read this all correctly, this is the first tiem the carbs had fuel in them since the rebuild? Like TC said, if the person who rebuilt them did a good job, you probably got some of the stuff off the bottom of the tank or from the repair into the carb. You could try throwing some Seafoam in to see if it dissolves the crud. Or could be float stuck on gasket or side of bowl. Tapping on the bowl can dislodge the float and fix the issue as stated.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Welcome,I would take a PO saying they rebuilt the carbs with a grain of salt.
                So many times guys take em apart and clean em up a bit and put gaskets and
                maybe jets and needle and seats and expect them to run.But the problem is these bikes are old any typically they sit for various lengths of time.And sitting causes plugged passages and rust in tanks and a myriad of problems.
                I have also had a problem with a carb flooding because the floats were twisted and set too high as a result of that.
                It might be wise to pull the carbs and go through them thoroughly one at a time to make sure they are right ,then install fuel filters inline.
                It seems like a lot of work ,but you can go through all those carbs in less than a day.
                Good luck. Rick
                80 SG XS1100
                14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

P.O. lied or is an idiot. I took the carbs apart and the needle and seat both need to be replaced in #2 I figure as long as I'm doing one I might as well do them all. Hopefully that is all that's wrong and I can ride this thing tomorrow. Thanks everyone for your advice.

Comment

Working...
                  X