Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Almost finished will ride tomorrow, but a few problems still.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost finished will ride tomorrow, but a few problems still.

Eight years ago I bought a house in Grand Rapids and to my surprise I got a motorcycle as well. I saw it in the back of the lot under a ripped and sunbleached cover with weeds growing throught top. It was rusted and ugly as hell. It had a nasty windsheild you couldn't see through, rusted sissy bar, and more rust everywhere. After a couple of beers one night a buddy and I pushed her thirty feet across my yard, an amazing feet considering the eight years of rust on the discs. We hooked it to the car and jumped it. It ran! we were excited it sounded terrible but it was running. Until... Gas was leaking through the breather box and down onto the engine. Instantly in the midst of our triumph and celebration it burst into flames. Luckily we were right next to the hose and we got it out. That was 5 years ago and this is her now.

1979 Standard F, At least I think it is.

I have a new seat cover to put on tomorrow as well. The seat kind of distracts from how good it looks.

Comment

Hi Don,
      that stark minimalist look is good. I just hate a bike that's all hung about with doodads and dripping with chrome. But before you take that test ride tomorrow, think about a place to put your feet, eh? Anna rear brake pedal?
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
        Hi Don,
        that stark minimalist look is good. I just hate a bike that's all hung about with doodads and dripping with chrome.
        Agreed.....I also like the silver frame that accents the motor against the black rims. Looks way cool. It screams "old school muscle bike."
        My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

Comment

Needs a flame job.
          You know, out of the ashes and all.
          XS1100SF
          XS1100F

Comment

Drilled rotors too!!!
            My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

Comment

Lookin' good! The first thing I noticed was the lack of a front fender....I think I like it.

I'm with Mstic, that silver (or aluminum?) colored frame looks awesome.
              I know this, because Tyler knows this.

1980 SG
              3J6 003509
              Kerker 4-1 (sans baffles)
              Fuse Block Upgrade
              Mike's XS Green Coils
              Pods w/Homemade Velocity Stacks

Comment

Once you start to ride it, you may want to send TKat $85 for a fork brace! It will probably feel like the front end is on rubber bands, and the brace makes a WORLD of difference in the handling.
                It IS a good looking bike!
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Looks to be missing quite a few rather important parts...
                  Front fender - Supports the forks, as well as the fact that you'll get sprayed with whatever might possibly be on the road if it's gone
                  Mirrors - just a little important
                  Turn Signals - about as important as mirrors
                  Foot pegs - already mentioned
                  Rear mud guard - at least I couldn't see it - Protects the innards from suff in the road, and keeps it cleaner
                  Rear brake pedal - already mentioned
                  Muffler - the lack of back-pressure may play with performance?

Other than that, It looks pretty good for having been so neglected and even through a fire!
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

No head lights, no brake lights

I have out her back together but the turn signals didn't work so I took them off. Is there something I need to do with them? I have read about the reserve lighting unit and I will probobly remove it but that does not explain my brake lights. What can I do?

Comment

HD light & Brake...

Guess you've done all the obvious fuse, fusebox, and behind box checks?
                      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Kinda confused here... Why did you take the signals off? You do need them on there in some capacity. The electrical system doesn't like it when items are removed, as the voltage draw is used to tell other parts of the bike that things are working correctly (or not).
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold
                        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                        -H. Ford

Comment

What kind of swingarm is that?The turn signal issue-did they not light up or did they not blink?one of my biggest pet peeves is people that don't use their signals.I don't care if it is cage drivers but motorcycles are just asking for trouble.A lot of people don't even know the basic hand signals.I am surprised because alot of older Harley riders do.Turn signal issues are a bit frustrating but that is why this board is around-to help fix things.Reason I'm asking about the signals is because years ago i had a guy that turned in front of me and didn't use his signals which cost me a day sitting in the ER being stitched up.
                          1980 XS1100 SG
                          Inline fuel filters
                          New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                          160 mph speedometer mod
                          Kerker Exhaust
                          xschop K & N air filter setup
                          Dynojet Recalibration kit
                          1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                          1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Hey, looking good. I bet its loud like that. If you need a hand with the blinkers send me a pm or e-mail. I can figure my way around most electrical stuff we can get together and I'll try my best to help you sort it out.
                            1979 xs1100 Special -
                            Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                            Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                            My Bike:
                            [link is broken]

Comment

Could also try and give you a hand with the blinkers as well.
                              1980 XS1100 SG
                              Inline fuel filters
                              New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                              160 mph speedometer mod
                              Kerker Exhaust
                              xschop K & N air filter setup
                              Dynojet Recalibration kit
                              1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                              1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Working...
                              X