Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What size oval pods for a 78 xs standard at mike's xs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size oval pods for a 78 xs standard at mike's xs?

I need some help. What size oval pods do I want to buy for my 78 xs11 standard? I just went to mike's xs to pick up four of them and there are a bunch of sizes. Anyone know? 52MM? Alot of people said the round ones sucked in on themselves when you got on it.
    79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
    80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
    80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
    79 DT 100

Just a suggestion, but if it were me, I'd spring the extra $20 and get a good quality pod filter that's a true K&N replica. The ones from Mikesxs will take some modifying to make some velocity stacks so they will work.

The good oval ones (Take up more room where the filter box used to be and have a larger filter area) that you won't have to do any modifying can be found at http://www.aperaceparts.com/

You won't find them listed on the site. You'll have to call that number in California at the top of the site (661) 256-7309 and ask for part number 005-121. They were $59.95 last time I checked.

As I said.. just a suggestion. If you're going with Mike's... you'll need a 54mm throat.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Mikes has the oval ones and they have the xs logo on the end. I thought that they were the good ones...??
      79 DT 100

Comment

XS11lover - I'm running the MikesXS pods (54mm), and I love 'em. If memory serves the member who came up with the velocity stacks was running the small round pods which partially obstruct the air jets. Mikes pods don't have the same obstruction, and I'm running them without velocity stacks and they work great. Then again Tod's link is showing a set of four oval filters for XS's at 59.95 a set (ape surper pro) - but you get free shipping over $50 for mikes stuff so it kind of evens out. Which ever pod you select you might have to change your jetting though - might not.
        Last edited by dbeardslee; 05-14-2009, 09:45 AM.
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Thanks, I had the carbs rebuilt and jetted for a 4 to 1 exhaust and pod filters by Pat Olson. The set that I have are round and a little sunk in. The bike runs nice and takes off at the touch of the throtle, but starts to crap out in the high end. I thought it may not be getting enough air.....from the round filters. So I'll pick up a oval set from Mike's and see what that does. Honestly the only time I notice it is when I'm really getting on it. I thought maybe it was God's way of slowing me down.
          79 DT 100

Comment

takes off at the touch of the throtle, but starts to crap out in the high end
            Another thing that can cause that condition is a plugged up vent in your gas filler cap. Easy enough to check - run it with the cap cracked open and see if it acts the same. Wouldn't try it with a full tank of gas, though . JAT
            I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
            X