Headlight Question... or two.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight Question... or two.

I've been looking for a headlight for my '80 XS1100 Standard, and after doing a number of forum searches, this website came up more than once.

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-77.html#products

In keeping with what was originally intended, I'm probably going to try and get a rectangular headlight. MY questions:

- Will this fit on my bike (even though it's for an XS650) for sure?

- Does it come with the hardware (Bolts/Screws/Whatever) to mount it? Or am I going to have to find those someplace else?
    Currently XS-less.

Lucien - The square headlight Mikes sells is 5" X 7". On a standard the headlight bucket is 7" X 9", so you would probably run into problems trying to mount one. Additionally the standards have a lot of wiring connections that live in the headlight bucket, and even with the two extra inches it's tight getting them all in. Your better off watching e-bay for one. Or you might check with andreashweiss as he might have one.
    Last edited by dbeardslee; 05-13-2009, 10:26 AM.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Gotcha. There's a XS11 headlight on Ebay right now I'm looking at, but if I could get one new, it would've been that much better.

Well, the auction ends Monday, so hopefully.... we'll see. Thanks for the head's up.
      Currently XS-less.

Comment

Fairing headlight question

Does anyone know if the headlight and trim from the '78 XS11 Yamaha fairing fits into the standard '78 headlight bucket?
        '78 XS1100E
        '83 XVZ12

Comment

Originally posted by Lucien Harpress View Post
          Hi Mike,
          that's a generic headlight. Like the site sez, it's for building a tracker with.
          OK, it could be fitted to an XS11 (or any bike at all that had headlight ears) but you'd have to find room elsewhere for at least half of the giant rat's nest of wire that was crammed into the original headlight.
          Mikes replica round XS650 headlight and his round replica signals would fit right on your Standard if you could live with the Standard/Special hybrid look.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Fred,

He has the standard headlight ears on the forks, would that make it a bugger to get the special light mounted correctly?
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Not a bugger, a doddle.

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
              - - - He has the standard headlight ears on the forks, would that make it a bugger to get the special light mounted correctly?
              Hi DGXSER,
              Standard's rectangular headlight was quoted here at 7" x 9" and the Special uses a 7" diameter sealed beam unit which means the shell is ~8" outside diameter.
              Nah, a spacer sleeve each side and longer bolts should do it.
              Or just bend the ears in a bit?
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

The standards have that funky reflector/bolt that holds the bucket on. Don't know if the bolt in it is long enough for a special headlight - maybe if it's only 1/2" on either side. If your's still has the reflector/bolts, that is. Still gotta find something to do with the wires though. I personally like that big square headlight. With a xenon bulb mine throws more light than my jeep.
                I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

The original fairing that was on my bike used the stock headlight rim and bulb, and when I converted from sealed beam to Halogen I just took one off of a newer XS. and put it on my fairing.
                  Fastmover
                  "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
                  lion". SHL
                  78 XS1100e

Comment

Gotcha. There's a XS11 headlight on Ebay right now I'm looking at, but if I could get one new, it would've been that much better.

Well, the auction ends Monday, so hopefully.... we'll see. Thanks for the head's up.
                    Go for the headlight from a 79 standard or later. In 78 it was a sealed beam but starting in 79 it's H4 which is much better lighting.
                    Rob
                    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                    1978 XS500E
                    1979 XS1100F Restored
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    1981 Suzuki GS1100
                    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I've been looking for a headlight for my '80 XS1100 Standard, and after doing a number of forum searches, this website came up more than once.

In keeping with what was originally intended, I'm probably going to try and get a rectangular headlight. MY questions:

- Does it come with the hardware (Bolts/Screws/Whatever) to mount it? Or am I going to have to find those someplace else?
                      That light from MikesXS WILL fit, as both headlight shells are the same width. On the original bike, the headlight is held on by the reflectors; these have a threaded stud that goes into the shell and you just need the nuts and washers (available anywhere that has metric hardware).

Finding an OEM square headlight will be a PITA; these things are as rare as hens teeth for some reason. What you'll usually find if you find anything are the less-desirable (and poorer working) '78 sealed-beams. I've been looking for a easier-to-find substitute, and I think I see a way to adapt an automotive type 5 x 7 light to fit.

The problem is Yamaha used a metal-backed shell and attached the mounting brackets to this, so for a direct bolt-in, only the factory part will fit. While the car headlight is the same physical size, there's no way to attach these brackets to a car light as-is without boogering it. But if you get a suitable headlight bucket/trim ring off a dead car or truck that used this style light (look at older Chev S-10 headlights), you could cut the back out of the bucket and attach some fabbed duplicate brackets to it, put the car light into the bucket, and make it all fit. A bit of work, but you'd only have to do it once. If you don't have the OEM shell, trim ring, hardware, or reflectors, you'll have to scare those up, but just these parts can be found.

'78E original owner
                      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                      '82 XJ rebuild project
                      '80SG restified, red SOLD
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Once again, thanks for all the help, guys. Interesting story, actually.....

After seeing the 5x7 light wouldn't fit (nicely), I went back to Ebay to see what I could find in the way of stock headlights and such. Surprisingly enough, there was a listing or two, but all ended in five days. Basically, this meant I had time to think.

When I did, I remembered the fairing I took off. The headlight THERE was rectangular. Thinking it might be the same size to basically drop into a standard-size headlight bucket, I went to see if I could take it out easily, and what the hardware looked like.

Long story short, I looks like I have a light that will work. Now I just need a bucket to put it in. THANKFULLY I have at least two options on Ebay, one of which I don't need to bid on, for a decently reasonable price.

So, HOPEFULLY, I MIGHT have my headlight issue sorted out. Blinkers, too. I won't be sure until Sunday, though.... (God, I hate Ebay.)

Mounting might be fun, because the side reflectors are missing on my bike. I'm not going to sweat it, though- a couple bolts that fit, and I'll be happy.
                        Currently XS-less.

Comment

Working...
                        X