Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

all it does is spit puff of white smoke through the carbs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• all it does is spit puff of white smoke through the carbs.

Hopefully this could be a quick fix/ But last week I was riding all night around town and when I was driving home right when I turned on my street the bike died. So I push it up to the drive way and really didn’t think about it for two days.

I went out to try to start it and all it does is spit puff of white smoke through the carbs. The night I was riding I lost two exhaust bolts and the flange come lose off the number two cylinder. Rode like that for about 15 miles home. I went to the salvage yard and pick up to bolts/nuts. Put them back on but now the bike will not even start with the choke fully out or not at all. I have also tried to put the gas tank on prime to see if I can get a good flow of gas to the carbs. I checked the spark and it looks good.

Why would it be running hard one minute and not want to even start the next?? I have never had THIS problem with the carbs spiting out white smoke after about 3-5 seconds of the starting button and I shot gun blast coming out of my tail pipes. The white smoke looks like it is coming from in between the air filter pods.

I think i need to take off the carbs and go through them again. This was only done about 100miles ago.

I am running pod filters, new coils, wires, plugs. Rejetted the carbs, and I am running a cut off exhaust. I have put in new in-line fuel filters (so I see the fuel), Full tank of gas (of course!!)

Side note: I just put in some Seafoam (or whatever it is called) in the oil to run it for a bit and change the oil. After I did that is when I tried to start it, it would not. IS having that stuff in the oil for so long going to cause any problems???? Or should I change the oil right now??

Please help, Thanks - William

First thing I would do is check the camshaft for position alignment and camchain . Have to pull v/cover to do this. If all checks out then do a compression test. In that order .
    79SF
    XJ11
    78E

Comment

Originally posted by whoride76 View Post
      the bike will not even start with the choke fully out or not at all. I have also tried to put the gas tank on prime to see if I can get a good flow of gas to the carbs. I checked the spark and it looks good.
      What do the plugs look like? Are they wet with fuel?

I have never had THIS problem with the carbs spiting out white smoke after about 3-5 seconds of the starting button and I shot gun blast coming out of my tail pipes. The white smoke looks like it is coming from in between the air filter pods.
      Generally sounds like timing, I would check if your timing went out on you? Check the valves as SFer suggested and watch that they all move the same amount, that is one is not sticking open from being burnt.

I think i need to take off the carbs and go through them again. This was only done about 100miles ago.
      No the likely culprit in my mind this time.

Side note: I just put in some Seafoam (or whatever it is called) in the oil to run it for a bit and change the oil. After I did that is when I tried to start it, it would not. IS having that stuff in the oil for so long going to cause any problems???? Or should I change the oil right now??
      Did you drive the bike that far with the Seafoam in it? If so you could have done some serious damage as the seafoam will dilute the oil badly and not lube the parts effectively. If you did it after this problem came up, yeah, I'd get it out of there and eliminate one more thing from your possible problems.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

All it does is spit and puff? I think I dated her.
        Mike C
        Lake Orion, Michigan
        '78 XS1100E

Here I am! Where are you?

Comment

This is gonna sound really bad, but is there fuel in the tank? Is fuel getting to the carbs?

An engine needs Fuel, air and spark to run, so one of those has been compromised somehow. As was mentioned already, look for fuel on the sparkplugs. That will indicate a lack of spark, but an existence of fuel and air
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Uh Oh

Have you removed the valve cover and check the cam timing, or if the cams are even turning? You may have had a cam chain failure, and bent a couple of valves from what it sounds like.

Comment

whoride76:

Check the pick-ups to see that you are really delivering a consistent spark to the coils and plugs. Check the site for pick-up repair as that seems to be the consistent item that goes wrong in these bikes. The wires leading to the pick-ups get broken in the insulation and will give intermittent spark or no spark. Pull the plate on the left side of the engine and take a look. Many write ups have been posted on this repair.

Comment

I have done the pick-up repair. The tank does have a fresh fuel. The plugs look a little wet.

I have never pulled off the valve cover before. So it would be obvious if a valve was bent or one was stuck closed or open. The bike seems to turn over ok. It just sounds like it is out of gas.

Again i can see the fuel through the fuel filters so i know the carbs are getting fuel, i just do not know what the carbs are doing with the fuel. Someone should go to a plastic place and make a set of carbs that are completely clear expect the jets.

If i try to push start the bike and if the rear tire locks would that mean i have a belt valve or the timing chain came off? Basiclly is there an easy way to check that without pulling off the cover and the heads?? I am not really wanting to get in the engine if i do not have too, and plus i dont have the money to do it.

Thanks for your help

Comment

if you have push started it ( or tried )
                  and turned it over with the starter
                  i guess it wouldn't hurt to do it again

do a compression test
                  choke off, throttle wide open, all plugs out of the motor.
                  that should tell if you have a major problem or not
                  with out taking everything apart
                  http://home.securespeed.us/~xswilly/
                  78E main ride, since birth the "good"
                  78E Parts, the "bad" fixing up now
                  78E Parts the "ugly" maybe next year
                  79F Parts
                  80G Parts
                  75 DT 400B enduro

Comment

My '79 standard had been running fine for about 6 years, then I was cruising about 55 2 wks ago, the bike just died, but puffed white smoke, then backfired loudly, I thought that would be something bad, turned out my pic-up fix, had come apart, fixed it again now shes running right again. Later 'Dog

Comment

It sounds like it could be bad gas.I am working on a bike that was backfiring through the carbs and would not start.I drained and flushed the tank and new gas ,it started right up.
                      Even if your gas is new it still could be bad.Its worth checking anyway.
                      I have gotten gas with water in it before at a gas station.
                      80 SG XS1100
                      14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Pulling the valve cover is really quite simple. Pull the tank off, pull the horns off, remove about 13 or 14 bolts IIRC and lift. Worse case and most expensive thing from there is the gasket. You can get a roll of material to make one for less than 10 bucks. I made my own and not a drip from it.

If you pull the valve cover, you will know right away if the chain broke as it will not be over the cams I'm not certain on the bent valve though, never had one so I am not sure what you would see. but if the chain is intact, remove the timing cover on the left side turn the engine clockwise looking the nut form the left side of the bike and line the timing T mark IIRC on the pointer and check the timing dots on the cam gears line up with the marks on the cam bearing caps. Watch the valves as you turn it to see that all of the buckets come up about the same height. You can also check clearances with feeler gages. If one is WAY off or does not move, then either bent or stuck.

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. It sounds like i have a busy weekend ahead. Not really looking foreward to that.

I will keep you guys updated just incase someone does a search with the same problem Later on.

I really dont think it is the gas, because i only go to Chevon and use 91 grade only, ( my old Hayabusa habit)

I did a compression test on my last thread and it seemed ok, but now that i think about i have the numbers to compair too if i retest to see any changes.

I really i this site and the times everyone put into their repost. The only reason i would keep the site is because of this site with all the support. (that is about as mushy as i get)

Comment

Originally posted by whoride76 View Post
                            I really dont think it is the gas, because i only go to Chevon and use 91 grade only, ( my old Hayabusa habit)
                            For future reference, these bikes are designed to run on regular. They actually run BETTER on the lower grade stuff. No need to waste your $$.
                            1980 XS850SG - Sold
                            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                            -H. Ford

Comment

OK..I'll bite. How in the haties does ANY engine run better on lower octane fuel? Even the 70s engines run ALOT better with Higher octane fuel from my experiences.

No picking on you Bug, this is at least the second time I have seen this posted and it has been bugging me (no punn intended).

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                              X