The part the nut hangs onto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The part the nut hangs onto

I've decided I need new handlebars on my '78. The stock ones are too low and my wrists are turned out too far, while my arms are in too far. I don't know if that makes sense. I'm too wide in the shoulders for my bars I guess. I'm 6'3 and 220lbs.

I guess I'm looking for something with a bit more height (not ape hangers tho) more width, and more pull back than the stock.

I look at places that sell bars, and I'm confused on the styles. Any suggestions?
    Mike C
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    '78 XS1100E

Here I am! Where are you?

I know they make mini-apes. Just be aware that any increase in size of the handlebars may require new, custom throttle/brake/clutch cables. I would try sitting on the bike so you are comfortable, and mocking up a location-keeper with a piece of coat-hanger wire, so you can be sure it fits all the mounting areas. Then, take the wire to the bike shop and tell them you want bars that match your wire. There are so many different styles and shapes that it will be almost impossible to know what you want without actually holding it in your hands.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Good idea with the mockup! Thanks! Yeah, mini-apes might be the ticket.
      Mike C
      Lake Orion, Michigan
      '78 XS1100E

Comment

I think I have heard tell of some of the taller guys liking the old Goldwing bars.
        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

I had your same problem.

With installing risers that bring the bars up/back, it was like a whole new bike... much more comfortable for me.

I'm 6'1'' and 270 lbs
          '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

I had your same problem.

With installing risers that bring the bars up/back, it was like a whole new bike... much more comfortable for me.

I'm 6'1'' and 270 lbs
            I just ordered a set from http://www.motorcycleproducts.org/ba...n-frameset.htm but I haven't received them yet. This is the cheapest option I found that rises and bring back the bars. I'll let you guys know how I like them when I receive them.
            1980 XS1100 Standard "Touring"
            Fairing, Trunk, and Bags
            850 FD
            Fork Brace
            Progressive Front Springs
            Engine Guards w/Foot Pegs
            Oil Cooler
            Throttle Lock
            Uni Air Filter in Airbox

2009 Suzuki Bandit 1250S ABS

Comment

I got my set used, so was definately cheaper, and I didn't have to get new cables either.

However, I do not like the way the ones on that website look.

The ones I have are "stepped"

They look like these, but move it back also, so it has another set of screw holes. This way the risers actually fit where the stock handlebar goes and to me is stronger due to it being cradled and supported where the handlebars originally went instead of just using square spacer blocks w/ bolt holes drilled in it.
              http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...Q5fAccessories
              '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

I put Goldwing bars on my 79 Standard. I really like them, they feel right for me, I'm 5' 11" 210 lbs. Picked them up on ebay for $5.00.
                Paul
                1983 XJ1100 Maxim
                1979 XS1100 Standard
                1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by blue giant View Post
                  I put Goldwing bars on my 79 Standard. I really like them, they feel right for me, I'm 5' 11" 210 lbs. Picked them up on ebay for $5.00.
                  Do you recall what year they are?
                  Mike C
                  Lake Orion, Michigan
                  '78 XS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by andysutt View Post
                    I got my set used, so was definately cheaper, and I didn't have to get new cables either.

However, I do not like the way the ones on that website look.

The ones I have are "stepped"

They look like these, but move it back also, so it has another set of screw holes. This way the risers actually fit where the stock handlebar goes and to me is stronger due to it being cradled and supported where the handlebars originally went instead of just using square spacer blocks w/ bolt holes drilled in it.
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...Q5fAccessories

Those do look nicer but I really wanted to have risers that brought the bars back more. I know the ones I bought won't be pretty but they will hopefully be hidden well enough with my fairing.

I have to say that yours sure are nice looking...
                    Fairing, Trunk, and Bags
                    850 FD
                    Fork Brace
                    Oil Cooler
                    Throttle Lock
                    Uni Air Filter in Airbox

Comment

I got my risers installed tonight. I can't wait to ride with them, they feel great already. They don't look bad while sitting on the bike, but they are a little ugly if you look at the side of them up close. They are machined pretty good. I have a fairing so it hides well enough from the outside view. I will do a full review of them in the product review section once I get to ride with them.

When I finally adjust my valves I think the cam plugs might fit the half circle shape that was left unfilled from the new riser.
                      Fairing, Trunk, and Bags
                      850 FD
                      Fork Brace
                      Oil Cooler
                      Throttle Lock
                      Uni Air Filter in Airbox

Comment

Working...